Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2008 02:00

Vista Supported List?

I've looked using Dell search, and in the community forums, and Google, but I can't seem to find a list of all Dell Optiplex models that support Vista (including older models like the 170L or GX280).

Does Dell publish such a list?

Or is there a rule of thumb? For example, my GX520 has a sticker saying it is Vista Capable, but the newer 745 with XP doesn't say anything about Vista. I'm assuming the Celeron and Pentium III boxes are a no go, but what about Pentium 4 HT based systems?

Of course, there is the driver support issue and probable BIOS updates, but I'd rather not be replacing desktops less than 2 years old that run XP perfectly well just because they won't run Vista.

2.4K Posts

January 17th, 2008 08:00

Hi

dell computer vista support list

From Chris

My computer
Dell Dimension 1100
Microsoft Windows XP Home SP 2
512 MB of Ram
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 256MB
Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz
HDD WDC WD800BB-75JCO 80GB C:
HDD Samsung SV2042H 20GB F:
TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H492C D:
LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-851S E:
Linksys Wireless-G WUSB54GS With SpeedBooster
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 90
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.11

My Security Software
Avanquest SystemSuite 8 Professional
Windows Defender

4.4K Posts

January 17th, 2008 09:00

Support for XP will be around for quite some time.  No urgent need to change to Vista.

11 Posts

January 17th, 2008 09:00

Thank you Chris.

At least the short list of 5 OptiPlex models saves me running the assessment tool on those, but I have a feeling most of the others will be under par for Vista Business (or they'd be in that list).

Looks like we'll have to wait until we've upgraded all the older models before we move to Vista, assuming XP is still going to be around for another year.
No Events found!