Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2013 05:00

Vista rolled back to windows xp

Hi.  I have a Dell Vostro 200 that came pre installed with Windows Vista Business OEM.  The OS was rolled back to Windows XP but now I want to go back upto Vista to use some new software that is not compatible with XP but is compatible with Vista.  I wish to retain Microsoft Office 2007 which is currently on the computer so is it possible for Dell to supply a OEM download as I have the original product key but obviously not the disk.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

April 12th, 2013 07:00

The OEM Media comes with a Certificate with the Serial number.

You did not say what country you are from.  I only know about the USA.

Here is where you can re-download Office 2007 after you’ve already paid for it:

Pre installed would be one of the versions below.

www.microsoft.com/.../downloads – Microsoft Office Professional 2007,  Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 and Microsoft Office Small Business 2007

And if you need to download a backup copy of Microsoft 2010 for a re-install, go here:

office.microsoft.com/.../microsoft-office-2010-backup-FX101853122.aspx – Download Microsoft Office 2010 or purchase a backup DVD

P.S. If you lost your product key, you can get a new one for Microsoft Office 2007, Microsoft Office 2003 and Microsoft Office 2010. A small fee applies. See this page for details.

support.microsoft.com/.../823570

If you are looking for information on how to replace a lost or damaged product key for an earlier version of Microsoft Office,

click to view the following article number in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

2548260 - Replace a lost or damaged Microsoft Office 2007 or 2003 product key

Select your scenario

If you still have problems locating your product key and you believe it is lost, or if you have located the product key and it is damaged, select the option which best describes your scenario:

You purchased Office at a retail store

Click here to view or hide detailed information

Microsoft Customer Service may be able to provide an Office replacement product key.
A minimal charge may apply.

To contact the Microsoft Customer Service Center in North America, call this number:

1-800-MICROSOFT (1-800-642-7676)

To contact a Microsoft Customer Service Center outside North America, click .
For more information about how to find a contact number for your country, visit the following Microsoft

How to find a phone number for a Microsoft Product Activation Center

When you contact the Customer Service Center have one of the following items available to provide to the Customer Service Representative:
  • The Office installation disc
  • The readable parts of your original product key
  • The full original product key
If you do not have either of these items the Customer Service Representative will be unable to help.

Important
If you lost the packaging and the installation disc, your product key is lost and Microsoft Customer Service will be unable to help with your request. If you would like to try Microsoft Office 2010, click . If you would like to purchase Microsoft Office 2010, click to visit the Microsoft Store.

You purchased Office online

If an Office box was sent to you after you purchased it online, the information in the You purchased Office at a retail store section applies to you.

If you lost your product key and you bought, downloaded and installed Office online, you should be able to retrieve your product key either in the confirmation email message that was sent to you, or by accessing your online account information.

If you believe that your product key is damaged because you receive an invalid product key error when you try to install or activate Office, follow the steps that are provided in the following Microsoft knowledge Base article:

Invalid product key errors occur in Microsoft Office 2007 or 2003

You downloaded a trial version of Office

Microsoft Customer Service will be unable to offer a replacement product key as this is a trial version of an Office product. If you would like to try Microsoft Office 2010, click here. If you would like to purchase Microsoft Office 2010, click here to visit the Microsoft Store.

When you bought your computer, Office was already on it

If Office came preinstalled on your computer when you bought it, you likely have an OEM product. Microsoft Customer Service will be unable to offer a replacement product key.(The 2007 Trial version is Different in that Retail Keys work for it) We recommend that you contact your computer manufacturer for more help. Click here for a list of computer manufacturer telephone numbers.

Your company or school provided Office

References

Do you have problems finding your Office product key?
Learn more about how to find your Office 2007 product key.
Learn more about how to find your Office 2003 product key.

Are you experiencing 'invalid product key' type validation errors in Office?
Learn more about how to troubleshoot invalid product key errors in Office 2007 or 2003.

Are you for installation and activation information about Office?
Learn more about how to install and activate Microsoft Office 2007.

Properties

Article ID: 2548260 - Last Review: March 5, 2013 - Revision: 17.0
Applies to
  • Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007
  • Microsoft Office Professional 2007
  • Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007
  • Microsoft Office Small Business 2007
  • Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
  • Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003
  • Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003

April 12th, 2013 06:00

Hi mattyh13,

The Vostro 200 system is usually shipped with Windows Vista operating system media, which you can use to restore the operating system. 

Have you lost the media? If yes, you may have to contact Dell Sales in your region to explore the possibility of obtaining replacement media.

For Microsoft Office 2003, if you have the product key handy, you may download it from Here.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any further questions.

2 Posts

April 12th, 2013 07:00

Hi Sundeep,

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately my version of Office is also an OEM version 'Microsoft Office 2007 Basic' so my product key does not work with that link.  Is there any other way to download?

I don't have the media anymore for Vista however I have a 64 bit Retail Copy of Vista for Business.  Can I use this on this computer with my existing, legal product key? Is the computer capable of supporting 64 bit software? If so, will I have to do a clean install or would I be able to do an upgrade and keep my copy of Office?

Thansk for your time,

Matt

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

April 13th, 2013 04:00

With regards to setting up Windows Vista, you should have a look and follow my Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

A Clean install of Windows Vista will guide you through the installation of Windows Vista however it is recommended you go to Windows 7 opposed to Windows Vista. Windows Vista with SP2 will work fine but Microsoft are kind of phasing it out. Windows 7 is better but requires purchase of a license.

No Events found!