Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 26th, 2010 11:00

Volume goes up and down by itself

Forgive me if this has been posted somewhere else already, but I could not find it.

I am having the strangest thing happen lately. I am running Windows XP on my Dell Dimension 4700. I recently switched to my onboard soundcard because the Creative Soundblaster that I had just up and failed.  I've recently noticed that sometimes when I'm playing music that the volume seems to go up and down on its own. I first noticed it when streaming music on Playlist.com. Then later it was happening when I played MP3's in Realplayer. And just to verify that it wasn't an issue with Realplayer, I played a video on YouTube and problem remained. I'm hoping this is a simple matter of switching a setting somewhere, but any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated. NOTE: I'm not sure if this is the reason, but I've been using the volume control on my keyboard to control the music volume.

The onboard sound device is a SoundMAX integrated digital audio. 250 GB hard drive, 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM, Pentium 4, 3.4 GHZ processor.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 26th, 2010 15:00

To verify whether it's someing in the PC or the speakers, connect a headset to the front panel headset jack and see if the volume changes there.  If it does not, the problem is the speakers (check the connection since you switched to make sure the GREEN speaker plug is fully inserted into the GREEN speaker jack.

No Events found!