Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 21st, 2015 09:00

Vostro 200 Mini Tower Won't Power On

I received the Vostro 200 Mini Tower from my parents. They said they couldn't get the computer to turn on and asked that I try to fix it. I checked the connections and everything looks intact. My guess is the PSU is bad to a certain extent. Bad in that it will let enough current go through to light up the LEDs, but not enough to actually power up the computer. Here is what I know so far.

1. PSU LED on back of tower is a solid green
  2. LED on motherboard is a solid amber.
  3. LED on the power button doesn't light up when pressed. No flashing light either. It is completely non-responsive.

Any ideas? The machine was bought in 2008 I believe. Has Windows Vista installed.

Thanks,

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 21st, 2015 10:00

I received the Vostro 200 Mini Tower from my parents. They said they couldn't get the computer to turn on and asked that I try to fix it. I checked the connections and everything looks intact. My guess is the PSU is bad to a certain extent. Bad in that it will let enough current go through to light up the LEDs, but not enough to actually power up the computer. Here is what I know so far.

1. PSU LED on back of tower is a solid green
  2. LED on motherboard is a solid amber.
  3. LED on the power button doesn't light up when pressed. No flashing light either. It is completely non-responsive.

Any ideas? The machine was bought in 2008 I believe. Has Windows Vista installed.

Thanks,

joshuacourter

As the power button light is not lite, this indicates that the Vostro 200 is not receiving power and possible failed power supply, due to the age of the Vostro, first try replacing the PSU to see if this makes a difference.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

The owner's manual and troubleshooter is here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-200_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Note: A known working power supply is required to check the system and motherboard.

Bev

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 21st, 2015 11:00

May 21st, 2015 11:00

Thanks for the quick reply. I will check into a new PSU.

No Events found!