Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2016 15:00

Vostro 200 Mini Tower tries to start, shuts down, then repeats

Vostro 200 Mini Tower tries to start, shuts down, then repeats until the power button is pressed to stop the cycle.

The power button is steady amber

The blue drive activity light turns on

MOBO light is on

All fans (CPU, GPU, PSU, Case) are working

Video card removed and reseated

Memory modules removed and reseated

PSU connector to MOBO reseated

CMOS battery replaced

All connectors feel solidly connected, yet there seems to be no power to the monitor or the keyboard.

I've disconnected power, drained residual power and reconnected the power.  The cycling continues.

I would appreciate some other suggestions on what I can try (like - why the monitor and keyboard are not receiving power from the computer).

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2016 22:00

RJ318

The PSU could be fine, I found it best to test with a 'Known' working unit.

My thoughts are, is it worth, spending money on a 9+- year old system?

But a Dell OEM refurbished/used motherboard can be purchased for $24.99 + S&H from Here:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Motherboard-Inspiron-Systems-Compatible/dp/B003CO0WQS

Note:  Unfortunately, while you can make an informed diagnosis, sometimes computer troubleshooting, is diagnostics by substitution.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 28th, 2016 16:00

Vostro 200 Mini Tower tries to start, shuts down, then repeats until the power button is pressed to stop the cycle.

The power button is steady amber

The blue drive activity light turns on

MOBO light is on

All fans (CPU, GPU, PSU, Case) are working

Video card removed and reseated

Memory modules removed and reseated

PSU connector to MOBO reseated

CMOS battery replaced

All connectors feel solidly connected, yet there seems to be no power to the monitor or the keyboard.

I've disconnected power, drained residual power and reconnected the power.  The cycling continues.

I would appreciate some other suggestions on what I can try (like - why the monitor and keyboard are not receiving power from the computer).

Thank you.

RJ318

Are there any 'Beeps', see page 80?

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-200_Owner%27s%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

Bev.

27 Posts

July 28th, 2016 17:00

Thanks for responding.  There are no beeps. Believe me, I would have surely included the results of that info.

27 Posts

July 28th, 2016 21:00

Yes, the power button task was performed several times.  I will perform the paperclip task and replace the PSU with the original low power unit, if necessary, though the one installed seems to work fine... but I will do the paperclip test and if it does not pass, I'll reinstall the original PSU and see if the unit powers up.

I'll work on this tomorrow afternoon and get back to you ASAP with the results.

Thanks again for responding.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 28th, 2016 21:00

RJ318

Did you after removing the power cord, hold power button in for 15/20 seconds, before reconnecting power cord and powering system on?

But, as there are no diagnostic'Beeps', suspect a motherboard issue.

Try the following, if you are comfortable working around computers:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply and case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out, again disconnect the power cord, hold the power button in again for 15/20 seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and disconnect the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again. 

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor. 

Note: The good news is, processors rarely fail, as the only method I know of checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

Bev.

27 Posts

July 30th, 2016 12:00

Bev,

I performed the paperclip test and here's what I got when I powered the system on:

1. Kinda of a weak groan from the power supply

2. No action from any of the other components still connected

Since nothing operated, I'm going to assume the power supply is at fault and I am replacing it.

Let me know if you agree with this assessment.

Thank you for your assistance.

Regina

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2016 19:00

RJ318    

Yes, the power supply would be the first part to replace, with a 'known' working unit.

Because a 'known' working power supply is required to check the motherboard and other components.

Bev. 

27 Posts

July 30th, 2016 20:00

Will make that test also and get back to you.

27 Posts

July 31st, 2016 15:00

Bev,

I performed the paperclip test with the 2nd PSU.  When plugged in:

All fans worked

Hard drive worked

GPU fan worked 

I plugged in the 20+4 connecter and powered on the computer. 

There were no beeps

Amber light on the power button was steady

Amber light on the system board was on

All fans worked

Hard drive worked

GPU fan worked

There was no power to the monitor or keyboard 

When the power button was pressed, even for an extended period, the system would not power down.  The plug had to be pulled to shut the system down.

The GPU was disconnected and similar results occurred.

The VGA connector for the monitor was plugged into the system board receptacle and when the system was powered on, neither the monitor or the keyboard worked.

It does look like the system board needs to be replaced.

Your thoughts, please.

Thank you.

27 Posts

August 1st, 2016 05:00

Thanks, Bev.

Yeah, I'm going to do it and use this unit as my network server, replacing a 16 year old Dimension 4100 that is still going strong!!!. Besides, I have the Vostro's GTX 260 in the Folding at Home program and want to continue that.

So, then, THANK YOU for all the suggestions in helping game with this project. Have a great day. :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 1st, 2016 07:00

RJ318

Glad to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!