Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 11:00

Vostro 200 - No Sound

I had a Malware issue that wouldn't go away so I re-formatted the hard drive and reinstalled all disks that came with the PC including the drivers.  I installed the Realtek ALC888 HD audio drivers for the integrated sound card but the sound doesn't work now.  Yes the speakers are plugged in and they work fine.

When I look at the Device Manager, there is a big yellow question mark and a yellow circle with a exclamation point where it shows Other Devices/PCI Device.

The properties show:

Device type: Other Devices

Manufaturer: Unknown
Location PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0

Device Status:

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

I have uninstalled and reinistalled the driver per the Driver Disk and by downloading from the Dell website six times.

If I boot the PC with the Dell Disk in the DVD/CDRW and perform diagnostic tests, the sound works fine for sound and left and right speaker, but them I get the following three error codes:

1B63:0F1B

1B63:151B
1B63:101B

When I boot to Windows each time, I get PCI device found, Windows can find no compatible drivers.  There are no other known device issues, not operating issues.

I am running XP SP3, and I have a NetGear 1 gb network PCI card and a PNY Dual monitor video card with two 19" monitors.

Is it possible that I should have installed the audiop drivers before I installed the other two PCI cards?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 23rd, 2008 17:00

It sounds like you forgot to install the Intel chipset drivers, which MUST be installed before installing Device drivers such as the sound. 

Install the chipset drivers, restart the PC and then install the sound drivers.

For future reference, the correct install sequence is (1) Install Windows, (2) Install chipset drivers (3) install device drivers such as the sound, video, etc.

If you can't find the chipset drivers, HERE is the downloads for the Vostro

July 23rd, 2008 19:00

Thank you for responding so fast.

Soooo, if I did install in the wrong order....what would I have to do to fix it?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

July 24th, 2008 09:00

As noted in my post, install the chipset drivers, restart the PC and then install the sound drivers.  In most cases that will work.  If not, you are looking at a complete, correct, reinstall.

1 Message

July 29th, 2008 13:00

Hi, I am really hoping for some help here, my company baught a del compture for me, the vostro 200, for some reason I cannot get the mic volume to an acceptable level so that I can use skype or any other input sound for that matter, I have tried both the front and rear pink input jacks to no avail, I have tried the latest realtek drivers. What is really frustrating is even if I try to run miccal.exe the adjustment of the volume does not work. I have tried my headset on another PC and it works fine. I have read a million forums and this problem seems to be solved by buying another sound card, clearly my company is not prepared to do this.

I am extremely frustrated by this.

53 Posts

July 29th, 2008 14:00

Gyrofx, I've got the same Vostro I think. I've been able to solve the problem of a too low microphone level with the following settings...

With a recent Realtek driver installed (which you have, according to your post), and Windows XP :

Double click the "Volume Control" symbol in the Taskbar (on the right, the Systray). It's the icon with a small gray loudspeaker. Then a Windows' slider window opens, not to confuse with that too lively Realteak control symbol & window.

[
In case the "Volume Control" symbol isn't there... there are 2 ways to open it:
1) In Windows' "System Control" open the "Sounds & Audio devices".
In the first tab named "Volume" enable the option "Show Volume Control in the Taskbar".
Hit "OK" button.
The new "Volume Control" symbol appears in the Taskbar and stays there. You can double click it to open the "Volume Control" window.

2) In Windows' "System Control" open "Sounds & Audio devices".
Go to tab named "Audio".
In section "Sound play" hit button "Volume". The "Volume Control" window opens.
]

So, with the open "Volume Control" window, there's a slider named "Microphone". Below it there's a button namend "Extended" which you've to press. (In case there's no such button or there's no such slider, just enable them in the Option menu of your Volume Control window.)
In the newly opend configuration window there's a section "Other configurations" which should contain an option named "1 Microphone Booster" which you've to enable.

Message Edited by Richardus on 07-29-2008 05:38 PM
No Events found!