Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

January 12th, 2016 08:00

Vostro 200 Not Booting

Greetings,

I have a Vostro 200 that won't boot. The back of the power supply has a green light when plugged in, but when I press the power button on the front, the power button turns amber and the green light on the back of the power supply goes out. If I hold the power button on the front down for a few seconds, it goes off and the green light on the back comes back on.

I tried disconnecting/reconnecting all the cables on the motherboard, but it made no difference. Does this mean the power supply is dead? Or could it mean something else?

Thank you in advance for any input. :emotion-2:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2016 12:00

Proud2BaNerd 

Check the reading of the power button LED, is it Steady Blue, Blinking Blue, Steady Amber, Blinking Amber or is it Off?

Are there any 'Beeps', or error messages, if there are, please post the exact text of the message and/or the sequence of the beeps?

The Vostro 200 Mini Tower Troubleshooter is Here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_vostro_desktop/vostro-200_Owner%27s%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

Bev.

46 Posts

January 12th, 2016 14:00

Hi Bev.

The light is a steady amber when I turn it on. There are no sounds or beeps whatsoever. It's literally like nothing happens, except for the amber light on the power button. &, as I said, the green light on the back of the power supply goes off when I turn the computer on. When I turn it off by holding down the power button for a few seconds, the amber light on the power button goes off and the green light on the power supply comes back on. I will check the troubleshooter you gave me the link to, but I wanted to give you these answers to start things off. Thank you so much.

Gary

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 12th, 2016 18:00

Proud2BaNerd 

Gary,

A steady amber power light, usually indicates a power supply issue, try installing a new power supply to see if this makes a difference, as a 'known' working PSU is required check the motherboard and system.

Most generic standard ATX power supply units can be installed, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with four SATA power connectors.

Bev.

46 Posts

January 19th, 2016 14:00

Hi Bev,

I just installed a brand new PSU and the problem still remains. Does this mean it's definitely the system board, or might it be something else?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

--- Gary

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 19th, 2016 20:00

Proud2BaNerd 

Gary,

What colour is the power light and is it blinking, or solid?

Are there any 'Beeps' if there are what is the sequence?

See page 79 of the owner's manual.

As the power supply been replaced for a 'known' working unit, disconnect the power cord, hold the power button in again for 15/20 seconds to discharge the residue power.

Remove all PCI cards from the system, take out the video card [if applicable], disconnect all peripherals, except the monitor, mouse and keyboard and disconnect the power & data cables from all drives. 

Reconnect the power cord and power system on, see if you get a different LED indication on the power button, or 'Beeps'.

No difference, remove the memory from the system and try again.

Still shows no signs of life then you are looking at a motherboard replacement & maybe a processor. 

Note: The good news is, processors rarely fail, as the only method I know of checking a processor, is to install it a compatible working PC, or use a known working processor.

ftp.dell.com/.../vostro-200_Owner%27s%20Manual2_en-us.pdf

Bev.

46 Posts

January 20th, 2016 20:00

Hi Bev,

No beeps. Conditions are exactly the same as they were before. Solid amber light on the power button and no activity whatsoever. I tried all the steps you suggested, but no change. So it sounds like it's the motherboard. Unless you can think of something else, I'll go ahead and order a replacement. Thank you once again for all your time & assistance. I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

--- Gary

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 20th, 2016 20:00

Gary,

It sounds like a motherboard issue to me also.

Bev.

No Events found!