anroberts
1 Copper

Re: Vostro 200 PCI-e Problem

Jump to solution

Hi There, did you ever resolve this problem? I have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a graphics adapter to work in my Vostro 200. The card works fine on another PC but not on my Dell. I get the same "unreadible psychedlic and the mouse icon was a 1 cm square'.

a

0 Kudos
wihowi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello,

anyone solved this problem yet? Just bought a NVIdea Gforce 8400 card to plug in an extra monitor but the card seems not to be recognized by the Vostro 200 system. My Bios has no option to choose the PCI express slot.

Anyone at DELL knows what to do?

As my periode of guarantee is over (1 year) DELL support wants to charge me for advise emoticon.Sad.title - I just need some help....

Wim

0 Kudos
jpsanab
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Tried several PCI-e cards on several Vostro 200s, all of them failed, however a friend has another Vostro 200 that was bought some months later and all the PCI-e cards worked on his, so my guess is that DELL had an issue on the first Vostro 200s which they fixed on the later production but never told anyone, for us, sadly there is no solution or at least I haven't found one.

The only solution is expend about $100 on a new motherboard, but I won't do it since I'm really disappointed of DELL's support.

0 Kudos
anroberts
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I agree. My DELL is only 14 months old. I have the same problem and all I want to do is to run a graphics card. Like others I have tried other cards, updated the BIOS, installed a bigger power supply etc. All to no avail!!

I believe it is wrong of DELL not to provide support for this as its affecting more than one user.

Any ideas how we progress this?

Alan

0 Kudos
wihowi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I had a chat with DELL support again last week and pointed them to this forum. Nevertheless they say it's not a production fault....

AND they proposed to let me send in the PC and check it - at costs of €200 (200 euro - appr. 300 Dollar) - with the additional costs of  a new motherboard of 100 euro (150 dollar).

So that's almost a new Vostro.....

I didn't accept it, I want then to admit it's a production mistake and replace it and if not, a solution to repair it - eitherway at no extra costs.

Or is a VOSTRO not a professional PC enough to give such support?

Wim

0 Kudos
wcniedba
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem and have tried every option in this forum.  There is nothing I can do in order to get my BIOS to show the PCI-E video option.  Can anyone at Dell help us here???

0 Kudos
rich1978
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I found  a solution. Well, for the Vostro 220, but I think it will work for your issue. Go to my computer and right-click - select manager. Expand display adapters and then right click on the first one and select disable. Mine is an Intel (not sure on the specofoc model). Then reboot the PC with your VGA or DVI cable connected to the Nvidia card. You might want to check the BIOS to see if you have the PCI-express card enabled on boot. This was under my advance chipset options. Then install the Nvidia drivers if they have not been installed. I have an Nvidia Quad 290 PCI-e and have done this with a 280 PCI. I only have this issue with Vostros as I have done this with HP's and was easy plug and play, install driver. After the reboot alter your graphics options through Nvidia control panel. Hope this helps.

rich1978
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Disable your display under device manager. Worked for me on a Vostro 220 slim tower.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ConsiderIT
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I too had the same problem, even after installing the latest BIOS, changing the BIOS setting to PCI-e, even installing a fresh copy of Windows. We found an interesting solution though. I spoke to Dell and they sent a technician out to replace the M/B. With the new M/B we had the same issue. The Vostro shipped with 3Gb of RAM (2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB) and I suggested that the only thing that I had not tried was changing the RAM, not really expecting that that was the problem. I happen to have 4Gb (2 x 2GB) in stock so we tried that and everything worked perfectly. We could not believe that the RAM could cause the problem. The technician then placed the 2 x 1Gb that originally shipped with the Vostro in and they worked perfectly as well. He then placed the 2 x 512Mb in by themselves and they worked as well. He then put the 2 x 1Gb and the 2 x 512Mb in and the problem was back again. The technician contacted Dell and they arranged for 2 x 2Gb  to be supplied the following day and all has run perfectly ever since.

pmolitierno
1 Copper

Jump to solution

just posting to thank you for finding this fix.  Bought an MSI NVidia 240GT back in May and just got it to work tonight after reading your post.  I upgraded the ram and never would have thought that it would cause this type of problem.

0 Kudos