Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2009 14:00

Vostro 200 PCI-e Problem

Hi, as stated I have a Vostro 200 Slim, I bought an Asus EAH3450 PCI-e low profile, card works ok on another computer, in the Vostro I don't get any video, if I change the VGA conector to the onboard video with the computer on there's a screen saying that I must disconnect that cable and connect it to the new card, which is what I already did, its like the onboard video keeps detecting the monitor even if it isn't plugged in anymore, any ideas??? TIA

6 Posts

July 23rd, 2010 14:00

I found  a solution. Well, for the Vostro 220, but I think it will work for your issue. Go to my computer and right-click - select manager. Expand display adapters and then right click on the first one and select disable. Mine is an Intel (not sure on the specofoc model). Then reboot the PC with your VGA or DVI cable connected to the Nvidia card. You might want to check the BIOS to see if you have the PCI-express card enabled on boot. This was under my advance chipset options. Then install the Nvidia drivers if they have not been installed. I have an Nvidia Quad 290 PCI-e and have done this with a 280 PCI. I only have this issue with Vostros as I have done this with HP's and was easy plug and play, install driver. After the reboot alter your graphics options through Nvidia control panel. Hope this helps.

1 Message

September 7th, 2010 03:00

I too had the same problem, even after installing the latest BIOS, changing the BIOS setting to PCI-e, even installing a fresh copy of Windows. We found an interesting solution though. I spoke to Dell and they sent a technician out to replace the M/B. With the new M/B we had the same issue. The Vostro shipped with 3Gb of RAM (2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB) and I suggested that the only thing that I had not tried was changing the RAM, not really expecting that that was the problem. I happen to have 4Gb (2 x 2GB) in stock so we tried that and everything worked perfectly. We could not believe that the RAM could cause the problem. The technician then placed the 2 x 1Gb that originally shipped with the Vostro in and they worked perfectly as well. He then placed the 2 x 512Mb in by themselves and they worked as well. He then put the 2 x 1Gb and the 2 x 512Mb in and the problem was back again. The technician contacted Dell and they arranged for 2 x 2Gb  to be supplied the following day and all has run perfectly ever since.

1 Message

April 24th, 2015 11:00

Other proven solution for  Dell Vostro 220 & NVdia Ge 210 PCIe incompatibility issue :

1.Set Bios Advance Chipset Feature Init Display First to PCIex by pressing  + or - .

2.Check RAM &  remove 512M if any.

3.Reboot & install NVdia driver.

Glad to help & share,

RP

1 Message

April 15th, 2009 17:00

Running into the same problem with an ATI Radeon 2400 Pro.  I put the card in, hook up a monitor (VGA) and nothing happens...but if I hook the monitor into the onboard video, during the boot process it tells me another video card is connected and that I need to reboot with the monitor hooked up to the new card.  It will then let me bypass and boot into Windows XP but the Radeon 2400 cannot be detected once I'm in Windows.

Anybody have any advice?

3 Posts

April 16th, 2009 14:00

Ditto me too.

Vostro 200

nVidia 7200 GS, works in other non-Vostro pcs.

Get message at bootup to hook up to vid card then reboot. After reboot, I have on board video, but vid card is not detected.

..sigh...

6 Posts

April 16th, 2009 16:00

I haven't found a solution yet, but seems like they put  an useless PCI-e port on our Vostros, I was just minutes from buying another Vostro 200 motherboard thinking that the fault was only on mine, at least now I know I am not alone in this boat, perhaps Dell could help us with a BIOS update or at least giving us a list of which video cards do work, from robmazco we now know that the problem is not limited to ATI cards but to nVidia aswell, hope we get a response soon

6 Posts

May 21st, 2009 21:00

Another "update" hoping for more some support from the DELL guys, tried an old PCI (not PCI-e) video card and it works, went into the BIOS to the Init Display option and I can switch there which card I want to boot from... the Onboard or the PCI, then I noticed there's no PCIEx Option as the manual states, click HERE for the user manual as a reference, then I installed my PCI-e video card hoping that magically the PCIEx option was going to appear, again, nothing... no PCIEx to be seen, I even hooked up a second monitor to the PCI-e card just to check if the option only appeared once the monitor is detected, but as expected, nothing happened, at the end I realized two things, one: DELL gave us a nice PCI-e slot just to let us see how it looks, but it won't work no matter what, tried several PCI-e Cards from different vendors (ATI and NVIDIA) and several BIOS versions, from the 10.0.10 to the latest 10.0.15 and two: people should never buy again from DELL if they are expecting to upgrade their computers or at least have some valuable technical support when something goes wrong.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2009 08:00

When a PCIe x16 video card is installed and the monitor is connected to it, boot up the PC and go into the bios. In the Advanced Chipset Features -Init Display First, you should see two options:
PCI Slot
PCIE-x Slot

6 Posts

May 22nd, 2009 09:00

It doesn't show up, I never get video from any PCI-e card, as I say on my first post, I have to switch the monitor with the computer on back to the onboard just to see the message about having the monitor connected to the wrong card, that's why I connected another monitor to the PCI-e so I can get into the BIOS and check if PCIEx shows, it is as if the onboard video keeps detecting a monitor when there is none connected

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2009 20:00

Try re-connecting the onboard video and re-flashing the Bios. When finished, boot into windows, Shut down. Add the card and go back into the Bios and look for the PCIe-X setting.

6 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 11:00

Hi Chris. I just did that, had to reflash the Bios on DOS since the Windows application didn't work because the Bios was the same version that I had installed, BIOS reflashing went ok but still no PCIe-X setting, tried 3 different PCI-e cards, one ATI and two NVidias with the same result and the same screen saying that the monitor is connected to the wrong card... any other ideas?

1 Message

December 12th, 2009 09:00

I bought a PNY Geforce 210 PCI-e card for Vostro 200 Slim  which also did not work despite all of the above maneuvers. (re-flash the Bios, etc) . I also attempted to install it in safe mode.  Since I didn't know about these posts I called PNY and the the technician at PNY told me to try the video card in another computer to see if it was the PCI-e slot or the card and in a Vostrol 220 it apparently blew out the motherboard!  I actually got some video on the Vostro 200 but it was unreadible psychedlic and the mouse icon was a 1 cm square. PNY replaced the video card and the same thing with the second card. Is there any PCI-e card that really does work??  Is Dell going to help find out why the PCI-e slot doesn't apparenly work? And fix it?

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2009 14:00

Hi There, did you ever resolve this problem? I have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a graphics adapter to work in my Vostro 200. The card works fine on another PC but not on my Dell. I get the same "unreadible psychedlic and the mouse icon was a 1 cm square'.

a

5 Posts

January 10th, 2010 05:00

Hello,

anyone solved this problem yet? Just bought a NVIdea Gforce 8400 card to plug in an extra monitor but the card seems not to be recognized by the Vostro 200 system. My Bios has no option to choose the PCI express slot.

Anyone at DELL knows what to do?

As my periode of guarantee is over (1 year) DELL support wants to charge me for advise :emotion-6: - I just need some help....

Wim

6 Posts

January 10th, 2010 16:00

Tried several PCI-e cards on several Vostro 200s, all of them failed, however a friend has another Vostro 200 that was bought some months later and all the PCI-e cards worked on his, so my guess is that DELL had an issue on the first Vostro 200s which they fixed on the later production but never told anyone, for us, sadly there is no solution or at least I haven't found one.

The only solution is expend about $100 on a new motherboard, but I won't do it since I'm really disappointed of DELL's support.

No Events found!