Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2008 13:00

Vostro 200 hit by lightning

I'm working on a Vostro 200 that was hit by lightning. Every thing powers up but I can't get any video signal to the monitor. I've exchanged the memory , psu and also put in a PCI -E video card and no luck . I'm assuming it's the motherboard and would like some help in finding a replacement. Thanks

9.3K Posts

August 5th, 2008 16:00

Dell spare parts should be able to sell you a Vostro 200 motherboard.

Do keep in mind that having put those parts you tried into this possibly bad motherboard could have caused permanent damage to them. In other words, the memory, PSU and videocard you tried may now be bad because you put them in a (possibly) faulted motherboard.

After the motherboard you could also be looking at a faulty processor, harddrive and cdrom still.

Fixing this system may mean having to replace the whole unit as the damage could trickle from one component to another over the next few days/weeks/months/years.

If you bought the accidental damage warranty from Dell, Dell should be able to cover this type of damage to your system under warranty.

If you didn't get the accidental damage warranty from Dell, I'd suggest to check with the manufacturer of your surge strip and see if they offer a warranty. Companies like APC offer US$ 25,000 and up warranty against surges on their surge strips (meaning that if your system still gets damage, they'll cover replacing the 'fried' parts).

Another option is to check with your home-owners or renters insurance to see if they can cover this damage.

186 Posts

August 6th, 2008 17:00

If you haven't already done so, check the wall outlet and make sure it still works.

I personally would disregard the homeowners insurance comment,(no offense Dev Mgr) but the deductible and risk of getting dropped by your insurance carrier are not worth the cost of the Vostro. Unless of course your 3 month old flat screen got zapped amongst other expensive high tech items of which you have the reciepts for. :smileywink:

5 Posts

August 7th, 2008 13:00

Thanks guys for the advice and help. I talked with Dell and found out that the PC is still under warranty and told my customer they should send it back to Dell for the repairs. I appreciate your help, thanks.

9.3K Posts

August 7th, 2008 14:00

Only if your customer has accidental damage warranty will Dell repair it. If your customer bought the regular warranty, damage from a powersurge isn't covered. I've run into this a time or 2.
No Events found!