Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Vostro 220 BIOS freezes with Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

I have a Vostro 220 (mini tower) that freezes for 1-2 minutes when the BIOS is at the "Initializing USB Controllers" stage if a Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard is plugged in. I can't use the keyboard to enter the BIOS (F2 or F12), but the keyboard works fine once in Vista. Tried different ports, same problem.

The Logitech keyboard works fine on other computers that I have. The stock Dell keyboard works fine on the Vostro 220.

Logitech seems to be pointing to a BIOS problem. I'm using the latest BIOS, v1.1.4.

Link to the keyboard: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2136825

Any suggestions?

20 Posts

November 8th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for all your efforts Chris M. I'm sure everyone on here is like me, waiting and hoping for a fix soon.

15 Posts

November 16th, 2009 22:00

i also have a XPS900(435T) with Win 7 64 BIT and my boot halts/freezes before the WIN screen.  White bar just sits at 45%.  As soon as I unplug the Logitech KB and plug in the Dell KB, the boot proceeds normally.  Is there a BIOS setting I can change to make this Logitech Illumintaed KB work??

Don

40 Posts

November 18th, 2009 09:00

Add me to the list.

I purchased a brand new XPS 9000, and bought the illuminated keyboard at Best Buy. When I hooked up and started the PC for the first time, it did not boot. Swapping the stock Dell keyboard solves the problem. I haven't gotten a response from Logitech, so I guess that I will have to return it and get my money back.

DiAngelo

8 Posts

November 18th, 2009 09:00

Returning it is a good idea. It's been months since the issue first surfaced and there's no fix in sight. Better to get your money back than have a useless keyboard.

3 Posts

November 18th, 2009 18:00

Nice. Anyone want to welcome me to the club? What the heck?!?! Here I was all excited that I might find a solution...brand new XPS 9000 and still the problem isn't fixed. I see that many of the prior posters have given up on the issue. This sucks.

30 Posts

November 19th, 2009 06:00

I definitely feel that both Dell and Logitech have abandoned this issue.

But to be clear, my Logitech Illuminated Keyboard does work...it just adds about two minutes to the boot sequence. I don't like it but have to accept it if I want to use the silky smooth keys and backlit features the LIK provides.

Unfortunately, I think Dell and Logitech are counting on me and everyone else to eventually give up and do just that.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

I feel like Sisyphus. My advice, contact Order Support and get a refund on the keyboard.

40 Posts

Yes, it's pathetic.  Logitech advised me to change a setting in the Bios to allow support for legacy USB devices, however the Bios for the new XPS 9000 does not have this setting, the only USB  settings are full speed and hi speed. Another option would be to disable the USB controller.

The illuminated keyboard does work on the older XPS 410, which I moved into the family room when I got the new XPS 9000. I guess that I will use the stock Dell multimedia keyboard that came with the XPS 9000 for now, which is suprisingly good and almost as sleek as the illuminated keyboard, except it does not have backlit keys.

DiAngelo

15 Posts

November 19th, 2009 13:00

:emotion-1:
Just an update since several XPS owners have concerns.  I now believe this is a Logitech issue and NOT a Dell Bios problem.  I just installed  a Saitek Eclipse III illuminated keyboard to replace the Logitech KB that was causing my Dell PC to stop booting.  The Saitek booted normally just like my Dell multimedia KB that was provided with my new XPS9000.

The Saitek was the same price.  Watching the boot process carefully, when the white bar starts growing to the right (prior to a popup saying windows is starting, the boot process stopped at about the 35% point when the Logitech KB was connected to a USB port.  With the  Dell KB (that was provided with my new XPS 9000), it pauses briefly than continues.  When the Saitek is connected, it pauses for less than 1 sec , then the KB lights come on, then the boot continues.  Based on the above, it seems that Logitec utilized some non standard interface which is conflicting with Dell BIOS.  And since the Saitek is illuminated thru the USB cord and the computer boot is normal, this seems like proof that Logitec should own the problem.

I admit that the Logitec is a better looking illumination thru the key faces where as the Saitek is illuminated on the sides of the key.  But the tacit key feel is the same and the KB has more multimedia and shortcut keys

30 Posts

November 20th, 2009 08:00

Tell Logitech they already went through this drill with me. I even returned the LIK to them for a replacement. Same problem. They eventually washed their hands of it and said it was a Dell problem. Dell of course ignores us and hopes we go away.

Incidentally, anyone else see this news trivia released today? "Dell Inc's quarterly profit plunged 54 percent".

Go figure.

7 Posts

THIS IS A DELL PROBLEM!!!!! I had the same issue with an XPS 9000 and Logitech Illuminated keyboard. Dell logo screen hangs at 25%  for 2 minutes and F2,F12,and F8 commands do not respond. Since the computer was brand new and tech support did not have an answer the computer is currentl being replaced. I will test the system with 2 keyboards. I know this is a DELL issue because I tested this keyboard with my DELL Dimension 8100 running XP and it boots just fine and the F2 and F12 commands also work. There are other posts on this forum about this issue.

12 Posts

Add my XPS 9000 to the list with Logitech illuminated keyboard problems.  Logitech states they are looking into the issue.  No date re: a fix.

Tried numerous fixes--no go.

30 Posts

November 20th, 2009 10:00

Ditto! Mine is a 435T - same problem you describe to the letter. But the LIK works fine with my Dell Studio at work. Of course it has a different bios than my 435T XPS.

I bet ya a dollar it's a bios issue. Dell simply won't take the time to patch it.

November 23rd, 2009 18:00

I guess I'll add my voice to this. I purchased a Studio 9000/435T and LIK from Dell, and I have exacly the same problem. I've been on the phone with Dell, reloaded SetPoint, etc, to no avail. like many here, I've tried other keyboards on this computer, and they all work fine. I've tried the LIK on other Dell computers, and it works fine. But on this computer the BOIS acts the same as though no keyboard at all is connected, and hangs for a full two minutes at about the 25% point of the Dell BIOS boot progress bar. Likewise, can't get into the BIOS, and can't interact with the boot menu.

Judging by the posts here, and the posts on Logitech's board, this is a growing problem with this specific keboard, the Dell 435T and Vostro, and a few other motherboards identified on the Logitech board.

It seems to me (seasoned Electrical Engineer), that the root cause of this a is some kind of non-conformace in the Logitech keyboard design, that our Dell models are sensitive to.  We've bought otherwise good computers here, and have all taken the time and effort to install software and to configure our computers the way we like them. I have no intention of shipping my computer back, but i'd happily ship back this keyboard (which otherwise works fine). Perhaps we all need to get more vocal. I see DELL-Chris is trying to help, but what we need is for Logitech's engineers to work with Dell's engineers to solve this. Also, judging by the span of dates on this board, and a check of the web site, Dell seems to continue to sell the LIK with the Studio 9000 computer. On Logitech's web site the forum is at http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Keyboards-and-Keyboards-Mice/Logitech-Illuminated-Keyboard-unusable-to-enter-BIOS-prior-to/m-p/399233#M18635

2 Posts

November 23rd, 2009 19:00

I gave up on my logitec backlit keyboard - and bought the Sidewinder X6 (orange backlit).  There is also a Reclusa (blue backlit).

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/Productlist.aspx?type=Keyboard

Demo of Orange one

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SideWinder%E2%84%A2+X6+Keyboard+&search_type=&aq=f

Demo of Blue

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Reclusa%E2%84%A2++Keyboard&search_type=&aq=f

Worked fine on my Dell Studio with the i7 processor.

I now have 3 min of my life restored after every reboot.

The 3 min lockup on my brand new computer adds up over time...

No Events found!