Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2009 08:00

Vostro 220 BIOS freezes with Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

I have a Vostro 220 (mini tower) that freezes for 1-2 minutes when the BIOS is at the "Initializing USB Controllers" stage if a Logitech Illuminated USB keyboard is plugged in. I can't use the keyboard to enter the BIOS (F2 or F12), but the keyboard works fine once in Vista. Tried different ports, same problem.

The Logitech keyboard works fine on other computers that I have. The stock Dell keyboard works fine on the Vostro 220.

Logitech seems to be pointing to a BIOS problem. I'm using the latest BIOS, v1.1.4.

Link to the keyboard: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/I_O_Devices/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&cs=19&sku=A2136825

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2009 21:00

I am still pushing this on the dell side. You all have made sure that Removable Dev. and/or USB:Generic are not the 1st Boot Device in the bios?

7 Posts

November 24th, 2009 13:00

I talked with Dell support and they contacted Logitech. It seems that the problem may be the amount of power needed for this keyboard from the USB hub may be causing the issue. They suggested trying to connect through a powered USB hub. Haven't been able to try this yet.

30 Posts

November 24th, 2009 14:00

I tried that a long time ago. It made no difference.

November 25th, 2009 04:00

I am still pushing this on the dell side. You all have made sure that Removable Dev. and/or USB:Generic are not the 1st Boot Device in the bios?

Yes, my first boot device is my C drive. Always has been. I now have my old Dell keyboard standing next to my computer for when I reboot or need to get into the BIOS (like to check the boot sequence). I have the old keyboard plugged in from the time I choose to reboot until it finishes booting, instead of the LIK..

20 Posts

November 25th, 2009 19:00

I see that Staples has the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard in their new ad for only $29.99

Either they made a huge purchase at a low cost or Logitech is discontinuing the keyboard at a closeout price. I didn't get mine at the same time I bought my 435T but I think I paid around $70 for it.

7 Posts

November 26th, 2009 06:00

Found a work around for my 435T. Booted with a standard keyboard and entered into bios setup. Turned off the report keyboard errors. Booted with standard keyboard. Once windows started I unplugged my standard keyboard and plugged Logic Tech Illuminated into a usb port on a PCI/USB card that I installed for more USB ports. The driver loaded and the keyboard started working. Now when I boot the Dell screen does not freeze. This does not work when keyboard is plugged into the USB ports that are standard on the computer(still freezes). The only issue with this work around is the keyboard does not work until windows is loaded. If the boot menu or bios options need changed, the computer will need to be started with a standard keyboard plugged into the standard usb ports with the Logic tech removed, but how often do we need to enter bios.

8 Posts

December 6th, 2009 19:00

Well, that's a clever work around. My guess Dell won't bother to fix the issue and instead point them to your fix. At least, there's an option for us willing to install a few more usb ports and spend a few more dollars.

Thanks RZerance, you've come through while Dell and Logitech haven't...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 8th, 2009 08:00

Based on what I am seeing, my advice is to contact Order Support and get a credit return on the keyboard.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2009 08:00

I've just recieved my new Vostro 220 and the BIOS version is 1.2.2. But LIK will still freeze the boot process.  

3 Posts

December 8th, 2009 09:00

How about changing the motherboard.

30 Posts

I went through a two week drill with Logitech including returning the LIK for replacement. They eventually told me it wasn't their problem. I and many others have been pushing the problem with Dell for months with no progress at all. So it's a tossup.

30 Posts

Thanks Chris. It sounds like you're telling us that Dell is NOT going to fix this problem and it's time for us to go away?

3 Posts

If Dell also ignores us, I must determine to return which one, the Vostro 220 or LIK

30 Posts

December 8th, 2009 11:00

This has been an issue for months. If they were going to do something about it they would have a long time ago. First they tell us they want to "capture affected PC's and keyboards for troubleshooting". How did that go? Nowhere I suspect. Now you are telling us to return our keyboards to prompt "someone" to ask why. Mark my words, Dell will not resolve this issue. As far as I can tell from my experience so far I and my problem are already non-issues.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2009 11:00

After wasting far to much of my VALUABLE TIME I returned everything!  Let us not forget, we are the ones spending the money. Dell is suposed to be providing a top quality product (a computer "system") with cutting edge tech suport.  Dell has forgotten what made them. Quality,Excelent Tech Suport and respect for the cunsumer. They did not  care that I was not satisfied. From what I am reading on this post, they are not treating you all very well either. With the help of a friend I built my own machine, and the motherboard company,ASUS, had a BIOS update for the LIK over two months ago. I enjoy the keyboard every day. One way to get Dells attention is if the rest of you did the same. Believe me if we can build one anyone can. GOOD LUCK!

No Events found!