I currently have 20 Dell Vostro 220 slims. The only added hardware is a Nvidia Quadro NVS 55/280 PCI. Recently I had three out of the 20 PC's PSU burn out on me. Dell has replaced the 3 fried PSU's, but my concern is that the other PSU's will fail after my warranty ends. Has anyone else had this issue with a Vostro? Also, do you think it could be my Nvidia card causing the PSU to overheat? The PSU is a Bestec250 W. Any help given will be greatly appreciated.
I discovered the PSU should be able to hold up with the Nvidia card. I believe the PSU overheated causing this issue. Has anyone else had this happen to their Bestec 250w PSU? I have had this happen to three so far.
Yes, I have stock 220s and i have had one PSU fail and 2 more have a burning smell.
The largest inductor, between the power regulators and the mains socket is burning out. First it gets hot enough for the varnish to burn off giving the burning smell, then later the inductor itself fails. There can be quite a gap between the 2 events.
I am getting them replaced today actually, i had no problems getting the 2 that haven't failed completely yet replaced so Dell is probably aware of the problem.
BTW that quadro is only a 12W part. It would add minimal load to the system.