ballenbert
1 Copper

Re: Vostro 220 will not boot up

@laksafan

Seems like there are at least a few people with the same issue. Good luck with Tech Support. I can tell you this from experience, if you are out of warranty you are out of luck no matter when the trouble started. If you are still under warranty I have a helpful hint... No matter what Tech Support says, call Customer Satisfaction and tell them that you are not satisfied and that you want to exchange your CPU for a new unit. I found that out last week. It does me no good now and no one told me that was an option 7 months ago! But, maybe it will help you.

0 Kudos
FatrCat
1 Copper

Hello fellow unfortunates-

Add another notch on the post for me, please, as I have just secured my membership in the Vostro-A-NoGo Club, too. And while it's almost an exact repeat of what's been said, I'm going to add mine as it looks more and more to be something which needs to be repeated; the Vostro 220 ("220s"-slim, in my case) is:

1. Plagued with an inherent design flaw
  2. Was built using cell phone industry standards (even top-of-the-line cell phones are built with components not expected to last beyond 2 yrs.)
  3. Makes a better doorstop than a PC
  4. All of the above

I bought mine June '09 and it was dead by New Years. Dell replaced the motherboard Jan '10, and 3 weeks ago the system once again has kicked the bucket. When it died the first time my thought had been towards the power supply, and I am going to gamble that this is the problem now, and try putting in a replacement. In looking it over thoroughly the power supply, in my opinion, lacks adequate ventilation if nothing else.

But, for myself the trouble isn't just in the failures it has had, but also in how it has performed all along. This machine was bought for a very light-duty application, and it has been a "slow dog" from day one. As the extremely happy owner of 2 PowerEdge servers, 2 Inspiron laptops, 4 Precision Workstations, 5 Dimension series, and 2 Optiplex machines I am very disappointed with the Vostro.

If the replacement power supply works, I'll post back and add that info; otherwise I will be looking to buy a really big cigar box, some daisies and a shovel!

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I didn't have any such problems with my 220s, and it was bought as a stripped-down refurb on eBay (no CPU, memory, heat sink, etc.) I do agree the power supply runs hot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rich1978
1 Copper

I understand how you all feel. I have 20 Dell  Vostros 220s. Out of the 20 I have had 11 blow on me right after the warranty expired. I have placed a complaint to Dell and asked that they research the PSU as I felt it was defective. Out of the 11 Vostros that blew all of them had the Bestec PSU. The other 9 I have are made by another company and have not had any issues. One user mentioned the Bestec as their PSU. Did anyone else have another type of PSU that blew? My fix was to replace the PSU with a non Bestec made one and so far all my Vostro's are running with no issues. It has been almost a year since I replaced them and Dell still denies there is an issue with the Bestec PSU. I still feel this is not the case and wish Dell would do more research.

0 Kudos
FatrCat
1 Copper

Rich- Yes, ours was also a Bestec, and unfortunately it took out part of the motherboard (which was board #2) with it as well when it croaked. We've not yet replaced the dead MB, as we have been very happy with it's performance since then; it is just heavy enough to hold the office door open securely, but slim enough to not get tripped over, and the CD slot makes a great place to stick outgoing mail!

0 Kudos
drgato
1 Copper

I have the same problem with my Vostro 220s that I have been using very seldom for just over a year.

I will replace the PSU to see if the problem gets resolved. I will post how it went.

0 Kudos
rpankoe
1 Copper

Does anyone know if this fits the Dell Vostro 220s (slim)?

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Does anyone know if this fits the Dell Vostro 220s (slim)?

rpankoe

Cannot help without knowing, what will fit in the Vostro 220S?

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
rpankoe
1 Copper

Sorry, I responded to this post, but it didn't include message like I thought it would:

If it really is the power supply that's at fault, a different make and model of replacement can be bought here

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The power supply is standard TFX and can be sourced from a number of independent vendors.  And at $35, it's a reasonably cheap solution.

It is for a Rosewill SL-300TFX power supply from newegg.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

rpankoe

Yes, the TFX power supply should fit, but it only has one SATA and two Molex power connectors.

The Vostro 220S requires three SATA power connectors, two 4-pin Molex to SATA adaptors would be needed.

Bev.  

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos