Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2010 14:00

Vostro 220 will not boot up

Hi,

I have a Dell Vostro 220 running windows Vista Home Basic. It will not boot up. When I power it on, the fans kick on and it sounds as if it will start up normally but it never actually does. The indicator light glows a solid amber yellow color. It does not beep or give any other indications. Nothing ever appears on screen.

I bought this cpu new in Feb. 2009. In Sept. 2009 I had the same problem. Luckily it was under warranty the first time. Dell sent out a Service Tech the next day. The tech could not pinpoint the exact problem but said it was a power issue. I was ordered a new power source, ram and motherboard. Dell overnighted the parts and the tech came back and repaired the unit the next day. All was well, but I was sceptical.  To me, that seemed like a major repair to a CPU that was only 7-months-old.

That was about 8 months ago, now I have had the CPU for 15 months total. I have called customer service to see what could be done. Since I am a repeat customer and have a cpu that is obviously defective or at least has a significant problem, I thought maybe I would get some level of satisfaction. I was told "we wish we could help but you are out of warranty". I asked to speak to a manager and was told the same thing. They recommend that I buy all of the same components that were replaced last time (without even doing a diagnostic)  at my own expense. BTW this totals more then half the original purchase price.

I expected more from Dell. Has anyone else had the same problem??? I feel like I got a lemon and instead of being offered any assistance at all I am being told too bad, we fixed it once, now it is your problem. That does not seem right to me. I will not buy again!

:emotion-6:

Dissatisfied!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2011 10:00

Does anyone know if this fits the Dell Vostro 220s (slim)?

rpankoe

Cannot help without knowing, what will fit in the Vostro 220S?

Bev.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2011 10:00

Does anyone know if this fits the Dell Vostro 220s (slim)?

2 Posts

October 4th, 2011 11:00

Sorry, I responded to this post, but it didn't include message like I thought it would:

If it really is the power supply that's at fault, a different make and model of replacement can be bought here

www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

The power supply is standard TFX and can be sourced from a number of independent vendors.  And at $35, it's a reasonably cheap solution.

It is for a Rosewill SL-300TFX power supply from newegg.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2011 11:00

rpankoe

Yes, the TFX power supply should fit, but it only has one SATA and two Molex power connectors.

The Vostro 220S requires three SATA power connectors, two 4-pin Molex to SATA adaptors would be needed.

Bev.  

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 4th, 2011 12:00

I'm using a Seasonic TFX with my HP Slimline: www.newegg.com/.../Product.aspx

Regarding the Vostro 220s, you'll only need three SATA adapters if you're using two SATA hard drives and a SATA optical drive. Under typical circumstances, two SATA connectors is sufficient,

1 Message

November 21st, 2011 21:00

I heard that - same machine same problem 2 months out of warrenty! As an IT consultant I order desktops, laptops and servers all the time from Dell - got the same line - tough to recommend a product to a customer when the vendor wants to avoid responsiblity to a customer - getting the impression it is a flaw in that batch of desktops - ( have heard of multiple issues in these boxes)  Dell knows it and will not back up it's products -

1 Message

February 25th, 2012 13:00

New to the never ending list of very unhappy Dell customers. DO NOT buy a Vostro 220 series. My Vostro 400 series has been pretty good; can't complain...yet! But the 220S [AMIN NOTE: Post Edited per TOU Violation] on what I think is the OS W7/XP it is actually set up as XP Pro. I think the OS got contaminated by a virus as it went 10 toes up after my wife answered at Norton warning. The virus was ianfrucnfpcu.exe

It then got the blue screen of death. Dell for $59.00 (out of warranty) was not much help. After 3 chats and running the diagnostic and then reseating memory card, then having me try re-install from CD , then having me format the HD, they said it must be the motherboard. For ONLY 184 for the board and 89 for tech it can be fixed. No thanks... I wasted $59.00 already on Dell.

April 11th, 2012 14:00

I have a Vostros 220 that will only power to give a yellow power light, it will not power up and run the USB ports which communicate to everything.  Two years old and failed, what a lemon.  It all started when I put it in sleep mode and touched the power button to awaken it, no response after that.

6 Posts

April 12th, 2012 07:00

I have seen this in the majority of the Vostros I have. I would say about 90% of them. I believe your power supply is more than likely Bestec. All the ones I have that produced the same issue you are having contained a Bestec power supply. All you need to do is purchase a new PSU and you will be good to go. I made sure the ones I ordered were not made by Bestec.

7 Posts

April 12th, 2012 07:00

I am happy to report that I resolved the problem... I bought an HP Pavilion Elite HPE-310t PC in August of 2010 :emotion-2: . After many attempts I realized I was never going to get any where with Dell. It was the best move I ever made. I love my HP!

7 Posts

April 12th, 2012 08:00

In response to previous posts on the power supply, yes the power supply was the problem both times but the failure resulted in the loss of the PSU, Motherboard, RAM etc, I do not remember the make of the PSU. In the last instance the failure currupted my harddrive to the point that my data was unrecoverable! That made the prospect futile.

May 5th, 2012 17:00

An update after trying the new power source, no change.  I then unplugged it and removed the battery on the motherboard, the battery had to be taken out not just clipped up from its seated position.  Voila, after I reinstalled the battery on the motherboard the computer started up properly.  Based on another persons advice this battery needed to be removed to wipe the botherboard defaults and the input it collects during use.  The computer will restart and go through its usual start up and collect new start up information again for future use.  Hope this helps, my fans were always running in the computer though the power light was always an amber color during the troubles.

August 11th, 2012 21:00

Have you  tried removing the battery from the motherboard?

3 Posts

August 12th, 2012 21:00

Thanks. It worked!

August 13th, 2012 10:00

These Vostro 220's are not powerful, I was told, so there is not much threat from taking out a board.  I was really worried about losing my data as well, not any more and the computer is going strong for over a years since.  If it has an issue I will just pull the battery again.  Glad to be of help!

No Events found!