Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2013 07:00

Vostro 260 - BIOS update from A08 to A10 impossible

Yesterday I downloaded BIOS A10 for a Vostro 260, but there is this error message when I want to start the update process:

What is wrong here?

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2013 08:00

Hi Abachmann,

You may try the below mentioned step which might help:

• Click on the below link: http://dell.to/15iD2p7
  • Click on 'Download File'.
  • Select 'For Single File Download via Browser'.
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select 'Run as administrator'.
  • Follow the prompts on screen and restart your computer.

Note: Do not turn off power before update complete. Connect your computer any surge protector (if available) to avoid any unexpected shut down. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Please share the results.

14 Posts

May 29th, 2013 08:00

This doesn't change anything, it still shows the same message.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 29th, 2013 10:00

You have clean installed windows and do not have the CHIPSET OR  ME installed.  ME= INTEL MANAGEMENT ENGINE.

This is REQUIRED to get the bios installed.

Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.9.2.0.1019, A01
Vender: Intel Model: Chipset driver Support OS: Win7 32&64
Recommended 9.2.0.1019 5/24/2011 Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
Description Importance Version Released Supported OS Download
Intel Management Engine Interface, v.7.0.4.1197, A01
Vender: Intel Model Name: 1.5M ME SW Support OS: Win7 32&64
Recommended 7.0.4.1197 5/24/2011 Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit

14 Posts

May 30th, 2013 01:00

I successfully upgraded the BIOS from A06 to A08 several months ago - with the same Windows installation. Chipset drivers and IME are also installed.

1.5K Posts

May 30th, 2013 10:00

Hi Abachmann,

Thank you for sharing the results. I did some research and found below mentioned steps:

• Press the key combination of Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in regedit and click OK. This will open Registry Editor.
  • Click on the > sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  • Click on the > sign next to SYSTEM.
  • Click on the > sign next to ControlSet001.
  • Click on the > sign next to Services.
  • Check if you have DellBIOS folder showing under it.
  • If yes, then delete it and restart the system.
  • Reflash the BIOS.

Note: Please create a system restore point before performing the above mentioned steps as they will result in registry change. Also, do not turn off power before update is complete. Connect your computer any surge protector (if available) to avoid any unexpected shut down. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

If the folder exist delete it and try flashing the BIOS, else let me know. Will take it further from there.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2013 13:00

Good afternoon, I have a VOSTRO 260S and is the same error when upgrading the BIOS.
I've done all the above procedures and not getting results.
Something else to do?

Thank you.

14 Posts

May 31st, 2013 00:00

Hi Abachmann,

Thank you for sharing the results. I did some research and found below mentioned steps:

• Press the key combination of Windows Logo key + R key to open Run dialog box.
  • Type in regedit and click OK. This will open Registry Editor.
  • Click on the > sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  • Click on the > sign next to SYSTEM.
  • Click on the > sign next to ControlSet001.
  • Click on the > sign next to Services.
  • Check if you have DellBIOS folder showing under it.
  • If yes, then delete it and restart the system.
  • Reflash the BIOS.

Note: Please create a system restore point before performing the above mentioned steps as they will result in registry change. Also, do not turn off power before update is complete. Connect your computer any surge protector (if available) to avoid any unexpected shut down. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

If the folder exist delete it and try flashing the BIOS, else let me know. Will take it further from there.

There isn't such a key - not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services and not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services.

1.5K Posts

May 31st, 2013 07:00

Hi Abachmann and Pedroamatt,

I did some further research on this error and found that it could be caused by Microsoft .Net Framework as well. Please click on the link http://bit.ly/L2ZvAP and download the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool. This tool troubleshoots common issues with the setup of or with updates to Microsoft .NET Framework setup installation. Additionally, this tool tries to resolve these issues by applying known fixes or by repairing the installed product.

If this doesn't fix the issue then you will need to manually uninstall the Microsoft .Net Framework and re-install it. Here are the steps:

• Close any currently running applications.
  • Click Start, and type Uninstall in the Search box and then click Uninstall a program.
  • Right click on all the versions Microsoft .NET Framework and click Uninstall.
  • Restart the system and install them back.

Try flashing the BIOS after that. Hope this helps.

Note: Do not turn off power before update is complete. Connect your computer any surge protector (if available) to avoid any unexpected shut down. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved.

Please reply if you have any questions.

34 Posts

May 31st, 2013 14:00

I had the same problem, Dell Inspiron 620 Desktop w/ Windows 7 Home Premium. I called Dell tech support, they did a remote access to my computer and attempted the update with the same results. Dell tech said I needed a new motherboard, although all the diagnostics (pre-boot, and through "My Dell Support") do not show any problems. My system most likely would not boot if the motherboard is bad. Dell sent a Dell tech to replace the motherboard, he concluded it was not the motherboard, but some sort of software glitch, ran additional diagnostics, nothing wrong with motherboard. Tech ran install in administrator mode, safe mode, and did a compatibility check, results= not compatible.

Let me know if you have any luck with this.

1.5K Posts

June 1st, 2013 09:00

Hi Dave,

If you are facing the similar error message, please try the troubleshooting steps shared by me in the thread and share the results. Will take it further from there.

34 Posts

June 1st, 2013 18:00

I tried both troubleshooting methods, neither worked.

The Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool did not help it said it was not able to make the repairs, and a report would be sent to Microsoft.

Is it possible that this bios update is for Windows 8, and not 7?

14 Posts

June 4th, 2013 06:00

I can confirm this, neither of these steps helped. 

3 Posts

June 4th, 2013 07:00

I have a few Vostro 260 PC's in my network at work and cannot update the BIOS. None of the solutions presented so far work. Dell please read this thread and help us out.

1 Message

June 4th, 2013 08:00

Same problem here.

No Events found!