Eric7609
1 Copper

Re: Vostro 410 BIOS 1.0.3 update has bricked my motherboard

Yesterday while installing updates on my Vostro 410 the Bios update V410-103.EXE failed.

I tried a second time to install it, but that didn’t work either.

After restarting the computer, it doesn’t come back.

I do not see anything on the monitor, it says no signal found.

I have tried 3 monitors.

After searching the internet for possible resolutions, I came across the CMOS.

I unplugged the computer.

I changed the CMOS jumper from 2 & 3 to 1 & 2 for about a minute, this didn’t help.

I removed the CMOS battery for about a minute, this didn’t help.

I changed the CMOS jumper and the battery together for about a minute, that didn’t help.

I unpluged the PC from the wall. Press/hold the power button for ~15 sec. Open the case and remove the battery from the motherboard. Press/hold the power button again for ~30-60 sec. Reinstall the battery. This didn’t help either

When I press the power button, all the fans come on at high speed and no image is displayed on the monitor. The computer does not beep and there are no amber lights, the power light is blue.

I am assuming the BIOS is corrupt and I’ll need a new motherboard, is this correct?

0 Kudos
RoHe
6 Thallium

emoticon.Crying.title

If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for a replacement motherboard.

Ron

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Eric7609
1 Copper

oh yeah, forgot to mention that, I'm 6 months past my expiration date.

I just don't want to spend $250 on a mother board if I haven't tried all my options, and it would be nice to hear from a Dell tech person and have them say, yes, you screwed up.

0 Kudos
SenilePsy
1 Copper

Like type situation....half boot and locks on or just before welcome screen, or, "cannot read sys monitor digital source' ...the prob was .theme mods....insert WinXYZ Repair Disk, get it to boot, run restore...or install, and run repair....As sooon as you can achieve a boot wh/allows files access, delete the mods....Enable hidden file, C:?, Windows, Resorce, Themes, and delete appropriate mods you've added

0 Kudos
Jules Wilko
1 Nickel

Not that it helps in any way, but I've just done this to a Vostro 410 I had in for a reinstall... Machine is bricked and it's well out of warranty.

I will be annoyed if Dell don't replace this as there is obviously an issue with this BIOS update.

Still I will be calling Dell Tech in the AM.

Jules

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
abanzon
1 Copper

Hi, 

VERY SIMILAR SITUATION. What did you do with your system? New Motherboard? 

0 Kudos
litsnsirn
1 Nickel

Same situation here, why is this bios still posted Dell?

0 Kudos
123leight
1 Copper

I'd like to ask the same question as I have just done exactly the same thing - surely if there's a problem with it it should have been removed or at least have some sort of warning. I now have a useless pc with hundreds of £s of extra kit and upgrades built in!? Feels like daylight robbery! I would hope someone from Dell would respond - I have been a Dell consumer for close to 10 years now, and on my third PC. If there is no solution to this issue created by following instructions on Dell's own support site then something is really wrong with the way Dell is now treating its customers......
0 Kudos
7- Gold

Hi 123Leight,

If you're still under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for a replacement motherboard.

Based on the age of this thread, it should be locked.

0 Kudos