Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 25th, 2014 12:00

Vostro 410 Intermittent Power Up problems

Hi Guys,

I'm have a Power Up issue regularly but intermittently with my Dell Vostro 410 as described below along with my PC spec. I'm a bit stumped so I'd appreciate all thoughts and guidance .

Thanks

JJ

-------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS

------------------

- Press Power Button and 3 out of 4 Times it simply flashes Amber briefly, fan starts but boot up does not take place at all. No Beeps whatever occur. Pressing multiple times usually has same result.

- Power Light is GREEN on rear of main unit

- Power light on Motherboard is amber and solid as normal 

- No new Hardware has been added or removed prior to this issue arising

- No damaged USB ports or USB inputs

- Interestingly, it powers up normally 1 out of say 4 times at present. Naturally, I'm worried the lack of power up will become permanent !

THINGS TRIED

---------------------

- PC would not power up at all one day so after checking these forums I removed the CMOS battery and hey reconnected power, whereupon the PC booted immediately even without pressing the power up button. Hey presto I thought and replaced the CMOS battery the next day and thought that would be the end of the matter. It happened again shortly after replacement with new CMOS battery and consistently since. Whether a CMOS battery is in place or not the issue can arise.

- Checked seating of all RAM boards and video card etc All Fine !

- One time last week after normal power up I ran full DELL diagnostics and PC passed all tests on the diagnostics.

- After all the above, I noticed that disconnecting the main power into the unit and leaving it off for a number of minutes seemed to increase the likelihood of success in power up. It was as if some residual electricity or charge in the power up mechanism stopped it completing the power up sequence ... but perhaps I'm grasping at straws here !

PC SPECIFICATION

----------------------------

Computer Model
Vostro 410
BIOS Vendor
Dell Inc.
BIOS Version
BIOS Date
20/06/2008
OS Version
Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro
Manufacturer
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz
Clock Speed
2.7Ghz
L2 Cache Size
Available Memory
68.26 %
Page File Size
4,670.2MB
Available Page File
94.74 %
Virtual Memory
4,670.2MB
Available Virtual Memory
79.04 %
DIMM1
1,024.0MB
DIMM2
512.0MB
DIMM3
2,048.0MB
DIMM4
1,024.0MB

September 25th, 2014 12:00

I'm having the same problem with my Inspiron 531 desktop. At first I was getting a blank screen, now it won't even start. I usually have to hit the reset switch on the back of the power supply for it to turn on after repeatedly pressing the power button. Sometime it boots, other time it doesn't. Let me know if you find a solution, buddy. I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2014 11:00

I'm having the exact same issue with my Vostro 410 - it started about 3 weeks ago - except now my issue is that it will not permanently turn on.

After removing the CMOS battery the machine booted up once, but after that it's dead.  I've got the solid amber light, solid green on the PSU, the power button blinks amber.

If I press the power button I don't even get the PSU fan to spin, no beeps, nothing!

I've tried everything - pulled ram, drives, video card, usb cables, accessory cables, etc..  I stripped the machine down to just PS, Motherboard, and Processor - No beeps, just solid amber light on the MB.

I've done the PSU / short (green to black) test to see if the PSU powers up and it does.  I have not yet checked voltage - but my only guess is it's either a failed PSU or a failed Motherboard/CPU.  I wish I had another PSU laying around to try - but I might opt to buy a cheap PSU to try.  I hope that's the issue, and not the Motherboard/Processor.  I also tried clearing the CMOS BIOS (rteset) using the jumper - without luck.

From what I have read the solid amber light on the MB is suppose to be a notification that it could not initialize correctly, or there was a fault with the power or the board.  A blinking light indicates a fault directly with the motherboard?  Is that correct?  I've try to find what the color of the light on the motherboard should be if it's operating normally.  I just can't seem to find any information on the Foxconn board to verify.

2 Posts

October 4th, 2014 13:00

Sorry to hear you are having similar trouble.

My current status is that my PC power up switch continues to power up intermittently and most other times simply flicks the fan momentarily and does nothing. One thing that does seem to impact (but this may be grasping at straws also !!) is in situations where I've tried the power up button multiple times and nothing has happened .... I remove mains power completely from the unit and let it drain out of the system by watching the PSU green light go off and the motherboard light too ... wait a minute or two, then reconnect the mains the unit powers up almost every time. It is as if some residual charge remains in the pc as long as the unit is connected to the mains, but when it drains away the mains power surge allows the pc power switch to function. 

To come back to your message ... my understanding of the Amber light on the Motherboard is that the Motherboard is getting some power (Stay Alive / Standby power) and this colour light would be normal when the PC is in the OFF state but with main power supply connected. This amber colour light on the Motherboard would seem to be normal therefore.

The following post does make some suggestions regarding a similar power issue on another model it might be worth your while having a look .... 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19411854

I wonder does anyone from DELL actually look at these posts ... or some a response from anyone with expertise in this area regarding the Vostro 410 would be appreciated ...

1 Message

October 21st, 2014 12:00

I'm having the exact same issue with my Vostro 410 - it started about 3 weeks ago - except now my issue is that it will not permanently turn on.

After removing the CMOS battery the machine booted up once, but after that it's dead.  I've got the solid amber light, solid green on the PSU, the power button blinks amber.

If I press the power button I don't even get the PSU fan to spin, no beeps, nothing!

I've tried everything - pulled ram, drives, video card, usb cables, accessory cables, etc..  I stripped the machine down to just PS, Motherboard, and Processor - No beeps, just solid amber light on the MB.

I've done the PSU / short (green to black) test to see if the PSU powers up and it does.  I have not yet checked voltage - but my only guess is it's either a failed PSU or a failed Motherboard/CPU.  I wish I had another PSU laying around to try - but I might opt to buy a cheap PSU to try.  I hope that's the issue, and not the Motherboard/Processor.  I also tried clearing the CMOS BIOS (rteset) using the jumper - without luck.

From what I have read the solid amber light on the MB is suppose to be a notification that it could not initialize correctly, or there was a fault with the power or the board.  A blinking light indicates a fault directly with the motherboard?  Is that correct?  I've try to find what the color of the light on the motherboard should be if it's operating normally.  I just can't seem to find any information on the Foxconn board to verify.

No Events found!