Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2009 20:00

Vostro 420 Clock Time Problem - Help Requested

We recently purchased a Vostro 420 about 6 months ago.  Have had repeated problems with it not keeping good time.  Running Windows XP Pro SP3 with all the latest updates.  The clock gets an hour or more out of sync in a day or two.  The Dell VOIP Paki-tech suggested a BIOS update (1.1.4) which did not help.  Then Dell sent out a whole replacement motherboard, which also did not help.  So, that should also rule out the battery I suppose, since the entire MB was replaced.

Got busy and forgot about this for a while, but have refocused on this problem, as it is continuing and the clock is losing like an hour every 2-3 days.  Now, keep in mind that this is a plain vanilla Vostro 420 with no special modifications and standard applications.  But the problem is pretty annoying.

Today, I noticed that there is a newer version of BIOS available, version 1.2.0, so I upgraded to that version.  Since Dell Support provides nearly zero info on each BIOS update, I have no idea if this will have any effect.

Have any other Vostro users had problems with their system clock running slow or losing time like this?  I am out of ideas here and could use your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 26th, 2009 21:00

This may not help you figure out what's causing the problem, but you can have the system reset the clock automatically by syncing with an atomic clock when the PC  has internet access.

Double click the clock and then click the Time Zone tab. Make sure your time zone is correctly selected

Now click Internet Time tab.

Put check in the box "Automatically synchronize with an Internet TIme Server

Select one of the servers, like time.nist.gov

Click Update Now button

From then on, the clock should re-sync automatically.

If you have any trouble syncing with time.nist.gov, or the other servers, read this from Microsoft.

Ron

October 27th, 2009 08:00

Thank you for the suggestion.  It's a great idea, and one I had not thought of.  We will do that right away. 

Still, there is some kind of underlying hardware issue with the Vostro 420 that Dell has not addressed, and needs to investigate.  Having worked with PCs since 1983, this is the first time I have seen a new PC that could not keep time.

But thanks a million for your suggestion!!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 27th, 2009 10:00

You're welcome.

I suppose it still could be a bum motherboard battery. Just because they replaced the motherboard, doesn't mean the battery is fresh. It could have been on that board since the day it was manufactured. And who knows, maybe Dell bought a batch of really cheap batteries that don't last. 

It's probably a 3-volt CR2032 lithium coin cell battery, but confirm that if you decide to replace it. They're only $2-$3 at places like Walmart, Target, etc.

And if you still have a problem, and you're under warranty, make Dell replace the motherboard again, and again... :emotion-4:

Ron

2 Posts

July 12th, 2013 11:00

Thanks Rohe - this appears to have done the trick.

One additional hint:

On mine, the Factory preset server (time-a-nist.gov) was not working, got an error message when I tried to synch - so I changed to time.windows.com

That was 2 hours ago now and seems like we have stability! (Been resetting itself and actually going backwards for 3 days now! Caused chaos with Outlook calendar reminders!!

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

July 12th, 2013 13:00

Thanks Rohe - this appears to have done the trick.

One additional hint:

On mine, the Factory preset server (time-a-nist.gov) was not working, got an error message when I tried to synch - so I changed to time.windows.com

That was 2 hours ago now and seems like we have stability! (Been resetting itself and actually going backwards for 3 days now! Caused chaos with Outlook calendar reminders!!

Glad that helped.

I just tried to sync my PC clock with time.nist.gov and got an error message. I changed it to time-a.nist.gov and that one worked for me.

Guess maybe the nist sites are having trouble because the government isn't paying its bills! :emotion-4: 

No Events found!