Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 26th, 2014 04:00

Vostro 430 won't start from HDD

Hi,

My desktop has got a Boot fault, can anyone help?

On switch on it brings up the intial Dell flash screen and progress bar "Dell Vostro 430 - Bios 2.0.1"

Then it very briefly flashes up the "Copywrite....  Intel...." screen before reporting;

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected device and press a key,
SATA 1: Installed
SATA 2: None
SATA 3: Installed
SATA 4: None"

If I insert the installation disk then it boots up OK and everything looks normal on the HDD.

I've done a CHKDSK C: /f /r and it didn't find anything.

I've run a full boot-time virus check overnight and it only found (and deleted) minor infections.

Any suggestions what to do next?

Thanks for your help,
Jim.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 26th, 2014 09:00

JimWicks

It means that the hard drive has failed and you need to replace it with a new HD, followed by reinstalling windows, then loading the drivers and applications.

Bev.

9 Posts

August 26th, 2014 08:00

I ran the surface test from the ulitiy disk/partition and got the following error;

Error Code 0F00:1332
Msg: DISK Block 381454418: Interupt request (IRQ) did not set in time.

What does that mean then, bad blocks that CHKDSK couldn't find?

9 Posts

August 26th, 2014 09:00

Thanks for that and I'm happy with changing the HD and they're quite cheap these days.

If it's some specific blocks that have failed can't that part of the disk be marked bad and the rest of the disk re-used though?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 26th, 2014 13:00

JimWicks

Don't try to reuse a failing hard drive.

It's not likely to work and the time spent formatting, reinstalling and restoring data is easily worth the cost of a new hard drive.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 29th, 2014 08:00

OK, I have bought a brand new HD, swapped it in and I have installed windows on it but the same thing is happening.

On startup it reports;

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected device and press a key,

But with the installation disk in the drive, I don't select to boot from the CD and it 'appears' to boot up from the HDD just fine.

What next?

Thanks for your help.

JimWicks

Sounds like a faulty windows installation.

What is the version of windows are you installing?

Are you using a Dell OEM reinstallation disk, that's the same version that was factory installed, or ?

Bev.

9 Posts

August 29th, 2014 08:00

OK, I have bought a brand new HD, swapped it in and I have installed windows on it but the same thing is happening.

On startup it reports;

But with the installation disk in the drive, I don't select to boot from the CD and it 'appears' to boot up from the HDD just fine.

What next?

Thanks for your help.

9 Posts

September 1st, 2014 04:00

It's Windows 7 from the installation disk that originally shipped with the PC, Windows being installed in a boot partition on the new drive.

Could it be a BIOS problem?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 1st, 2014 07:00

JimWicks

Did you follow the Windows 7 installation procedures listed here:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=266457

More information on reinstalling Windows 7 can be found here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/windows-7-installation/

Remember to select “Drive Options” which will allow you to delete all partitions and then recreate them.

Bev.

9 Posts

September 1st, 2014 07:00

Ah, now that is a helpful list - I hadn't installed the driver set yet and I didn't realise that it contained such basic stuff as 'SATA for Intel chipset' driver - that could well explain the error this time round.

[insert slapping yourself on the forhead emoticon]

Thank you.

9 Posts

September 2nd, 2014 02:00

Sorted.

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 2nd, 2014 07:00

JimWicks

Glad to hear the issue is resolved.