muto
3 Zinc

Vostro 460 Multi-Monitor Graphics Video Support

Jump to solution

True to form the censors of this community forum deleted my original post wihtout explaination.  So I am guessing that their objection was that the email address to the president's office was included in it - so here is the post again with that blocked out.  This adds insult to injury as I am just trying to get product information so that I can buy Dell equipment.  They already lost over 50% of my business and it looks like they are trying to loose it all...  just becuase they are more concerened about an email address (that they could have edited out themselves) instead answering a customers question.  pathetic.

But let's try again.  Here is the original question....

Dell sales (chat, telephone, and even the follow up from email sent to shot themselves in the foot by not being able to answer what I thought was a simple question: 

What type (VGA/DVi/HDMI) and combination of multiple monitors are supported by the various graphics cards available in the Dell Vostro 460?

T
he 'Tech Specs' page does not say, it merely states the graphics cards sold with the Vostro 460.
The configuration page lacks the 'help me choose' button for graphic cards that usually provides side by side comparisons of the offerings as well as detail regarding multi-monitor support.
When on the configuration page in 'list view' there is an option for a adapter cable for use with the Intel Integrated 2000 Graphics which suggests that that graphics card support dual monitors.

Dell lost a 20 PC multi monitor order because they could not answer this (via 3 chat sessions, one phone call, and an email to and are about to loose much more (particularly since people have taken a liking to the 'other' brand that will one day likely be replaced with more of the non-Dell same)...  seems like Dell just don't care about selling to business, or that they don't want to sell multi-monitor systems though the Vostro 460 is advertised with a picture showing it with quad monitors.

Does anyone know what type (VGA/DVI/HDMI) and configurations of mutli-monitor are support the following cards offered with the Vostro 460 support? 

·     1024 (MB) NVIDIA® GT420 GeForce®

·     1024 (MB) ATI HD5670 RadeonTM

·     1024 (MB) ATI HD5450 RadeonTM

·     Integrated Intel® 2000 Graphics Media Accelerator

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
muto
3 Zinc

Re: Vostro 460 Multi-Monitor Graphics Video Support

Jump to solution

OK, well I tried to give the sale to Dell, but since neither Dell sales chat, Dell sales telephone, Dell sales email, Dell's President's office, and now the Dell community forum can't answer I will just buy the next batch from HP as well.  This lot is going to a different company than the ones purchased last week and are sure to turn the tide in making this previously exclusively Dell shop into a HP/Dell... and likely turn them entirely into HP shop as we replace the rest.  Not sure why Dell does not have this information on the product page or the 'help me choose' page as the have historically done with other models.  And I am particularly surprised by the president's office who despite their polite and prompt reply did nothing to answer the question and therefore let this sale slip away. 

muto
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

thanks for the reply osprey.  i know they deleted my previous message because they felt it violated their tos, and my point is that they don't bother to mention exactly what the violation is leaving the end using having to guess what it might be making it look rather suspicious as to what exactly they are objecting to as well as pretty pathetic that they expend more energy on policing the forum than they do in actually helping answering questions, solving user problems, and potentially making more sales.  since I removing micheal dell’s email address that was included in my first posting it seems that was indeed what their problem was... at least this time the post stayed up for a entire day, but unfortunately in that time it only attracted a response from you that focused on the tos violation without understating my point about their lack of communicating the precise tos issue after deleting a post and that doesn't help answer the fundamental question that i was asking in the first place.  perhaps if somebody at dell takes the time to answer this posting they could avoid missing some future sales but i have gone above and beyond making an effort to obtain information that should be posted in the product technical specifications and/or the ‘help me choose’ tool in the product configuration page and have now officially run out of places to ask.  they obviously just don't care or are too stupid to see that not providing this information can translate into lost business.

Highlighted
muto
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

thanks for trying but we both know that what dell includes in their system are oem versions of graphics cards that are based on the underlying manufactures chipset.  it is a mistake to assume that what the dell oem versions of the cards are actually capable of is one and the same as the retail version of the card.  in fact if you visit the manufacturers web site and click on support you are presented with a page that essentially asks if the particular product you are talking about is a retail version or oem version, and if you select the oem version you are presented with a list of manufacturers including dell, and if you click on the link for dell you are redirected to dell.com...

why does dell advertise this machine with a picture of it surounded by 4 monitors when they don't detail anywhere which graphics card sold with it is quad head?  and what are the other possible combination of multi monitor support. 

never mind.  i used to care, but now i give up.  just buying from a company that knows about the products they are selling.

5 Replies
muto
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

OK, well I tried to give the sale to Dell, but since neither Dell sales chat, Dell sales telephone, Dell sales email, Dell's President's office, and now the Dell community forum can't answer I will just buy the next batch from HP as well.  This lot is going to a different company than the ones purchased last week and are sure to turn the tide in making this previously exclusively Dell shop into a HP/Dell... and likely turn them entirely into HP shop as we replace the rest.  Not sure why Dell does not have this information on the product page or the 'help me choose' page as the have historically done with other models.  And I am particularly surprised by the president's office who despite their polite and prompt reply did nothing to answer the question and therefore let this sale slip away. 

7- Gold

Jump to solution

Hi Mutto,

They only delete messages that violate TOS. But if you need technical assistance, you're more likely to get an informed answer here.

It's completely up to you.

0 Kudos
muto
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

thanks for the reply osprey.  i know they deleted my previous message because they felt it violated their tos, and my point is that they don't bother to mention exactly what the violation is leaving the end using having to guess what it might be making it look rather suspicious as to what exactly they are objecting to as well as pretty pathetic that they expend more energy on policing the forum than they do in actually helping answering questions, solving user problems, and potentially making more sales.  since I removing micheal dell’s email address that was included in my first posting it seems that was indeed what their problem was... at least this time the post stayed up for a entire day, but unfortunately in that time it only attracted a response from you that focused on the tos violation without understating my point about their lack of communicating the precise tos issue after deleting a post and that doesn't help answer the fundamental question that i was asking in the first place.  perhaps if somebody at dell takes the time to answer this posting they could avoid missing some future sales but i have gone above and beyond making an effort to obtain information that should be posted in the product technical specifications and/or the ‘help me choose’ tool in the product configuration page and have now officially run out of places to ask.  they obviously just don't care or are too stupid to see that not providing this information can translate into lost business.

7- Gold

Jump to solution

Of the cards you listed, the GT420 and Radeon HD5450 support multi display. This information was found on the manufacturers' sites.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
muto
3 Zinc

Jump to solution

thanks for trying but we both know that what dell includes in their system are oem versions of graphics cards that are based on the underlying manufactures chipset.  it is a mistake to assume that what the dell oem versions of the cards are actually capable of is one and the same as the retail version of the card.  in fact if you visit the manufacturers web site and click on support you are presented with a page that essentially asks if the particular product you are talking about is a retail version or oem version, and if you select the oem version you are presented with a list of manufacturers including dell, and if you click on the link for dell you are redirected to dell.com...

why does dell advertise this machine with a picture of it surounded by 4 monitors when they don't detail anywhere which graphics card sold with it is quad head?  and what are the other possible combination of multi monitor support. 

never mind.  i used to care, but now i give up.  just buying from a company that knows about the products they are selling.