Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 8th, 2011 20:00

Vostro 460 Mutliple Monitor Video Graphics Support

Short version:

Does anyone know what type (VGA/DVI/HDMI) and combination of mutli-monitors (2, 3, 4) are supported by the following cards offered with the Vostro 460?  

·     1024 (MB) NVIDIA® GT420 GeForce®
·     1024 (MB) ATI HD5670 RadeonTM
·     1024 (MB) ATI HD5450 RadeonTM
·     Integrated Intel® 2000 Graphics Media Accelerator

Long version:

True to form the censors of this community forum deleted my original post wihtout explaination.  So I am guessing that their objection was that the email address to the president's office was included in it - so here is the post again with that blocked out.  This adds insult to injury as I am just trying to get product information so that I can buy Dell equipment.  They already lost over 50% of my business and it looks like they are trying to loose it all...  just becuase they are more concerened about an email address (that they could have edited out themselves) instead answering a customers question.  pathetic.

But let's try again.  Here is the original question....

Dell sales (chat, telephone, and even the follow up from email sent to shot themselves in the foot by not being able to answer what I thought was a simple question: 

What type (VGA/DVi/HDMI) and combination of multiple monitors are supported by the various graphics cards available in the Dell Vostro 460?

The 'Tech Specs' page does not say, it merely states the graphics cards sold with the Vostro 460.
The configuration page lacks the 'help me choose' button for graphic cards that usually provides side by side comparisons of the offerings as well as detail regarding multi-monitor support.
When on the configuration page in 'list view' there is an option for a adapter cable for use with the Intel Integrated 2000 Graphics which suggests that that graphics card support dual monitors.

Dell lost a 20 PC multi monitor order because they could not answer this (via 3 chat sessions, one phone call, and an email to and are about to loose much more (particularly since people have taken a liking to the 'other' brand that will one day likely be replaced with more of the non-Dell same)...  seems like Dell just don't care about selling to business, or that they don't want to sell multi-monitor systems though the Vostro 460 is advertised with a picture showing it with quad monitors.

Thank you.

872 Posts

March 9th, 2011 16:00

OK, well I tried to give the sale to Dell,but since neither Dell sales chat, Dell sales telephone, Dell sales email, Dell's President's office, and now the Dell community forum can't answer I will just buy the next batch from HP as well.  This lot is going to a different company than the ones purchaed last week and are sure to turn the tide in making this previously exclusively Dell shop into a HP/Dell... and likely turn them entirely into HP shop as we replace the rest.  Not sure why Dell does not have this information on the product page or the 'help me choose' page as the have historically done with other models.  And I am particularly surprised by the president's office who despite their polite and prompt reply did nothing to answer the question and therefore let this sale slip away. 

872 Posts

March 9th, 2011 18:00

your sarcasm is not neither funny or helpful. 

when writing to michael dell he doesn't actually respond personally, but rather people that have the means to do something do.

i wrote including the pathetic online chat i had with one of their sales people who could not answer or even understand the question and who were not honest enough to simply say they did not know the answer nor professional enough to say they would find out and get back to me.

the presidents office thanked me for pointing out the poorly trained chat operator, and the fact that the information is not detailed on the product page, but they too did nothing to actually provide and answer and so i bought the 20 multi monitor system from hp instead.  Ironically as they acknowledge the failure of their sales staff to answer a reasonable pre-sales questions they also failed to answer it or put me in touch with someone that could.  Well I guess they did put me in touch with someone that could, only that someone is at another company…

872 Posts

May 11th, 2011 12:00

Don't hold your breath waiting for an answer.  I contacted the president's office and, though polite, even they could not provide any sort of answer.

Furthermore, if you are looking for a 32 bit version of Windows, as of about a week ago Dell stopped offering that on the Vostro 460.  Their inability to provide information regarding the multi monitor support for the various cards offered with the 460 cost Dell a very large sale.  Now thier suddend discontinuation ofoffering the machine with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit has cost them even more sales from another shop that has been buying 10 of these these a month for the couple of months and was looking to buy many more in the comming months...  I can't justify the time (expense) of installing a new OS on a new machine making the Vostros 460 no longer a viable option.  Dell's only suggestion is to buy the more expensive Optiplex.  Our solution is to start buying HP.  It appers that Dell has lost touch with their "built to order" roots.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2011 16:00

Just a suggestion, but it's not necessary to carry on multiple threads.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2011 17:00

Well, I'm so sorry that the CEO was unable to recognize how important it was to maintain his technical acumen on multi-display video cards on your behalf.

872 Posts

March 9th, 2011 19:00

Just a suggestion, but it's not necessary to carry on multiple threads.

dell deleted my original response to your comment...  since they delete messages without any specific explanation i am once again forced to to guess what it was that was said that offended them and edit it accordingly.  i really wish they would redirect some of the resources they dedicate to censoring postings to actually answering users questions.  it would not only earn them customer respect but in this case would also have had prevented a loss of sales.

---------------

lol osprey.  i echoed my posting in this video forum thinking it might attract a response from a person knowledgeable about video graphics since posting the it to the general desktop forum yielding nothing. of course this is really a pre-sales question but i thought i would give it a shot since dell sales via chat, telephone, or email, as well as contacting the presidents office were all unable to answer the question.  i guess that after so many years of exclusively buying dell i am having trouble letting go, but they really seem to not want to make sales and my total annual purchasing dollars have quickly gone from 100% dell to well under 50% dell in under two years.  and unless the other computer vendor does something to really anger their new customer i dont see how dell will ever get them to spend any future purchasing dollars on dell again. 

872 Posts

March 10th, 2011 06:00

thank you for not answering my question and instead focusing on a discussion about dell policy regarding censorship of user posts.

no, the emails dell sent alerting me of the removal of my postings do not offer any specific explanation as to why they were removed and instead simply rely on the blanket reason that it was a violation of the tos.

if they did offer a specific reason, or even stated the specific sentence or sentences that offended them, then the user could easily find another way to express the sentiment that might not be subject to dell censorship.

but what would really be impressive is if dell focused more of its energy in actually helping customers by answering their questions instead of focusing on policy and procedure.  just like this forum that has only responding to the censorship mention in this thread and not answering the primary question, the president's office too fell flat on its face focusing on the behavior of the reported chat sales operator instead of simply obtaining an answer to the question.

it is very disappointing from a customer perspective and should be of the highest concern to you as an employee of a company that is clearly incapable of responding to customer pre-sales needs that has repeatedly driven a customer to purchase elsewhere.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 10th, 2011 06:00

muto,

You should have received an email describing the violations. Below are the violations I have seen in your post that was moved -
* profanity
* posting Dell employee email

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

March 10th, 2011 15:00

@Muto

Allow me to quote one of your prior posts on these forums:

"...Sounds like you are just looking to vent, but If you have a question you might try to ask it.  And if you do ask a question you would probably get better results if you asked nicely ('please' and 'thank you' help to encourage unpaid people to try to help you)...."

How quickly people forget their good manners...  :emotion-4:

Ron

872 Posts

March 10th, 2011 16:00

Ron,

If you took the time to read my post you would know that I asked my question of the Dell community not only here but via all of available avenues of contact and all came up dry.  And when I did not receive any response here I reported back that I was instead ordering elsewhere and no longer needed a reply.  Unfortunately the second post attracted a worthless response like your, not to help answer the question, but instead to merely say that I should not post twice since it had gone unanswered in the other fourm (have to love the irony of someone posting a message in an attempt to reduce the number of postings!).  And then that poster went on to make another worthless sarcastic remark that was both unhelpful and embarrassing for him/her.

Then you come along, as you have done in other threads, not to contribute a possible answer to the original query, but only to defend someone’s lame remark as if were your feelings that were somehow hurt.  You deliberately interject yourself into this thread only to try to start an argument.  Now that is even less than not helpful, it is purely a waste of time

Since this is not the first time that you demonstrated this behavior I suggest that you think about why you repeatedly do this, why you take things so personally and feel the need to defend others who you think need to be defended or are not capable of defending themselves if they felt the needed to (and obviously they didn't). 

Also, you may want to rethink your way of always talking “at” people as you address the top of your posts with your usual "@username".   It suggests a distorted way of communicating, like the way a dictator would talk to his subjects.  It is not a tactic that indicates that you want to have a conversation nor does it should even a modicum of respect.  It clearly says that you are talking at a person and that you somehow have something to tell them that is not open to discussion.  Perhaps if you try to talk "to" people instead of at them and you might get a nice surprise and a response that is more to your liking.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 10th, 2011 17:00

ENOUGH!!

Everyone needs to quit attacking each other. We are all here to discuss issues in an even tone of voice. Everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath.

1 Message

May 11th, 2011 12:00

So can someone answer Muto's question?  I'm looking for the same thing.

No Events found!