Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2012 10:00

Vostro 470 Stuttering Audio

When playing video (eg YouTube or DVD or local mp4 files) or listening to audio (eg mp3) the sound stutters occasionally - usually after maybe 15 to 30 seconds of playing. Then it plays some more and stutters again. Occasionally (but rarely) I can play a file to the end without problem, but that would be the exception rather than the rule.

This is most frustrating - I bought the Vostro to replace my previous PC (lesser spec, but managed to play video and audio without problem) as I wanted to improve my video and audio editing and playback capabilities.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jimmy

System spec below:

Vostro 470
Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Intel i& 3770 Ivy Bridge
8 GB dual channel DDR3 RAM
Dell 0YJPT1 motherboard
nVidia GeForce GT640 1024MB Graphics card
2 x Dell U2412M 24" monitors at default 1920 x 1200 resolution
RealTek High Definition Audio - line out connected to HiFi amp
System drive: Seagate SATA III 1 TB
Data drive: Hitachi SATA II 2TB
CD/DVD RW optical drive
CD/DVD RW and BD-RE optical drive

1.1K Posts

November 13th, 2012 22:00

Hi Jimmy,

Please check the speakers with any other system to make sure they are working fine. I will recommend you to uninstall and re install audio driver:

• Click on 'Start' and right click on 'Computer'.
  • Click on 'Manage' and click on 'Device Manager'.
  • Expand 'sound, video and game controllers' and right click on each entry listed and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Once the driver is uninstalled, click on 'Start' and click on 'Control panel'.
  • Click on 'Programs and features' and look for the application by the name ‘Realtek’.
  • Right click on it and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Restart the system.
  • Click on the link: http://dell.to/PTg1ov
  • Click on 'Download Now' and select 'Single file download'.
  • Click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Save' and save the driver on the desktop.
  • Right click on the driver from the desktop and click on 'Run as administrator'.
  • Install the driver following the on screen instructions.
  • Restart the system and check if the issue is fixed.

You can also update the BIOS in case the issue still persists:

Note: Please save any unsaved data as your system will restart automatically after updating the BIOS. Disconnect all the external peripherals like printer, camera, scanner, external hard drive, flash drive etc. Also, the battery should be charged 10% or above.

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/TYYD26
  • Click on 'Download Now'.
  • Select 'Single-file Download' and click on 'Continue'.
  • Click on 'Run' and follow the on screen instructions.

Keep me updated. Please reply for any further questions.

13 Posts

November 14th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for the detailed response - so far, it seems to have done the trick... just one query (re Bluetooth) see below:
Please check the speakers with any other system to make sure they are working fine.
Checked the amp and speakers with mobile phone/mp3 player using same cable:
  No problems with either YouTube video, local video or mp3 playing
Also tried using the headphones socket at the front of the Vostro:
  Same problem as using the usual audio out (green) at the rear

I will recommend you to uninstall and re install audio driver:

• Expand 'sound, video and game controllers' and right click on each entry listed and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Devices listed were:
  •   Bluetooth Audio Device
  •   Intel(R) Display Audio
  •   NVIDIA High Definition Audio
  •   Realtek High Definition Audio
  • Uninstalled them all according to your instructions
  • Pop up box offered 'Delete the driver software for this device'
  • I ticked the box before selecting [OK]
  • Device Manager no longer lists the audio devices
  • Once the driver is uninstalled, click on 'Start' and click on 'Control panel'.

• Click on 'Programs and features' and look for the application by the name ‘Realtek’.

Nothing with name Realtek in the list, either in 'Name' or 'Publisher' column
  • Right click on it and click on 'uninstall'.

• Restart the system.

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/PTg1ov

• Click on 'Continue'.

• Right click on the driver from the desktop and click on 'Run as administrator'.

• Pop up box showing
  • 'Device driver software was not successfully installed' and then
  •   NVIDIA High Definition Audio [Green tickmark] Ready to use
  •   High Definition Audio Device [Green tickmark] Ready to use
  •   High Definition Audio Device [Green tickmark] Ready to use
  •   Bluetooth Peripheral Device [Red cross] No driver found
  • I clicked the [Close] button before restarting the system
  • Restart the system and check if the issue is fixed.

• Device Manager now shows only three items under 'Sound, video and game controllers':
  •   High Definition Audio Device
  •   NVIDIA High Definition Audio
      Realtek High Definition Audio
    Under 'Other devices' there is
      Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a yellow warning sign
    Double clicking this entry I get a pop up box showing the status as:
      The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
      There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
Initial tests following the above are VERY encouraging:
2 x YouTube videos OK
XBMC audio server mp3 playback OK
Local hard drive wav file playback OK
Local hard drive mp3 file playback OK
Local hard drive mpg video playback OK

Thanks for your help - it is very much appreciated. I'll monitor this for a few days and report back. In the meantime I'm not sure what to do (if anything) about the Bluetooth device.

Jimmy

1.1K Posts

November 15th, 2012 01:00

Hi Jimmy,

I am glad that the audio issue is fixed. Please install the below driver(s) depending on the wireless/bluetooth card your system has:

Dell wireless 1704 wireless/bleutooth combo card: http://dell.to/UFr2wy
Dell wireless 1703 wireless/bluetooth combo card: http://dell.to/ZOLn1t 

Please reply for any further questions.

13 Posts

November 27th, 2012 14:00

Sorry to have been away for a while.

Update on the situation is:

1. The audio problem seems to be resolved - many thanks for that!

2. I checked online via my Service Tag and ascertained that the 1703 card is the one in my Vostro.

Even after downloading and installing the 1703 wireless/bluetooth combo card driver, I still have not solved that one.

Start > Computer > Manage > Device Manager shows under 'Other devices' an entry for 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device' with the warning symbol next to it.

Double-clicking the entry shows

Device type: Other devices

Manufacturer: unknown

The Device status box shows:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

Can you help in resolving this?

Many thanks

James

1.1K Posts

November 27th, 2012 21:00

Hi James,

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag on a private message so I may check which wireless card has been shipped with your system. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply for any further questions.

13 Posts

November 29th, 2012 10:00

I have accepet the friend request and have sent you my Service Tag ID.

Because the audio problem was resolved (thanks for that!), I did not try updating the BIOS. Should I try that and attempt re-installation of the Bluetooth driver? Or should I leave things as they are for now?

Regards

James

1.1K Posts

November 30th, 2012 01:00

Hi James,

Thank you for sharing the Service Tag. I will recommend you to right click on the Bluetooth entry under 'Other Devices' and click on 'uninstall'. Once done, restart the system and open ‘Device Manager’. Right click on the Bluetooth entry and click on ‘Update Driver Software’. Click on ‘Browse my Computer for driver software’. As seen in the below picture, copy and paste the path in the window:  C:\dell\Drivers\MMX1J\BT_Device_Driver\64

Once you paste it, click on 'Next' and the driver should get installed.

Note: You may click on the image to enlarge it.

Keep me updated. Please reply for any further questions.

13 Posts

November 30th, 2012 03:00

I really appreciate your sticking with me on this... I followed the steps exactly and got a pop up window

Windows was unable to install your Bluetooth Peripheral Device

Windows could not find driver software for your device.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

The only option then is the [Close] button.

The contents of my C:\dell\Drivers\MMX1J\BT_Device_Driver\64 folder are:

atheros_bth.cat   29/12/2011   Security Catalog       8KB

atheros_bth.inf    29/12/2011   Setup Information      5KB

btfilter.sys            29/12/2011   System file            536 KB

James

1.1K Posts

December 1st, 2012 03:00

Hi James,

I apreciate your efforts. Have you conected any device to your system via blue tooth? I wil recomend you to uninstall USB Root hubs and blue tooth peripheral device in device manager:

• Click on 'Start ‘and right click on 'My Computer'.
  • Expand 'Universal Bus Controller' and right click on each entry named as 'USB Root Hub' and click on 'uninstall'.
  • Once done, uninstall blue tooth peripheral deive from 'Other Devices'.
  • Restart the system and let me know if you still see the same entry under 'Other Devices'.

If so, right click on blue tooh peripheral device and click on 'Properties'. Then select 'Details' tab. Select Hardware ID by expanding the Device description Drop down menu. Below is the pictur which shows how you will find the hardware ID:

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

13 Posts

December 1st, 2012 17:00

Hi Vikram

As far as I'm aware I've never connected any bluetooth devices to the system - I do have a mobile phone and tablet which both have bluetooth capability (I have successfully paired them with a non-PC device in another room) but have never attempted a bluetooth connection to the PC.

I followed your instructions and the Bluetooth Peripheral Device is still listed under Other devices in Device Manager. Its hardware ID is:

BTHENUM\{61118058-486c-4bb0-b468-ace4dcadec44}_LOCALMFG&0000

Below is my step-by-step account showing the outcomes.

Start > My Computer > Manage > Device Manager > Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Numerous entries listed including:
Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub - did not uninstall this one
USB Root Hub - uninstalled it
USB Root Hub - uninstalled it

On uninstalling the first USB Root hub, my mouse and keyboard stopped functioning - I unplugged them from rear USB sockets and plugged them into the USB3 sockets on the front of the PC tower.

The 'Other Devices' disappeared from the listing, so I could not uninstall it.

Re-booted the PC

Installing device driver software message displayed - eventually this changed to Device driver software was not successfully installed. Click here for further details.

Clicking the message opened up the Driver Software Installation Window which listed the following;

USB Root Hub                                                      green tick                         Ready to use
USB Root Hub                                                      green tick                         Finished, restart required
Unidentified device                                                red cross                         Device unplugged
Unidentified device                                                red cross                         Device unplugged
USB Mass Storage Device                                   green tick                         Ready to use
Generic USB Hub                                                 green tick                         Ready to use
Generic USB Hub                                                 green tick                         Ready to use
Dell Wireless 1703 Bluetooth                                green tick                         Ready to use
Generic - SD/MMC USB Device                           green tick                         Ready to use
Generic SM/xD Picture USB Device                     green tick                         Ready to use
Generic MS/MS-Pro USB Device                          green tick                         Ready to use
Bluetooth Device(RFCOMM Protocol TDI)            green tick                         Ready to use
Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator                            green tick                         Ready to use
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)           green tick                         Ready to use
Bluetooth AVRCP Device                                      green tick                         Ready to use
Bluetooth Peripheral Device                                  red cross                          No driver found
Blutooth Hard Copy Cable Replacement Server   green tick                         Ready to use
Bluetooth LWFLT Device                                      green tick                         Ready to use
Virtual Bluetooth Support                                      green tick                         Ready to use

and a [Close] button

There was also a popup box 'You must restart your computer to apply these changes' - I chose the [Restart Later] button to allow me to check Device Manager before re-starting.

Start > My Computer > Manage > Device Manager - once again shows 'Bluetooth Peripheral Device' with a warning symbol listed within 'Other devices'

The Value shown under Hardware Ids for the Bluetooth Peripheral Device is

BTHENUM\{61118058-486c-4bb0-b468-ace4dcadec44}_LOCALMFG&0000

I shut down and restarted the PC - no further driver messages this time.

Checked in Device Manager and the Bluetooth Peripheral Device was still showing under Other devices and has the Hardware ID quoted above.

Regards

James

1.1K Posts

December 4th, 2012 04:00

Hi James,

Thank you for the reply. I really appreciate your patience. This may be a hardware ID of bluetooth card or the audio card. I will recommend you to uninstall sound and bluetooth drivers and re install both.

• Expand 'Network Adapters' and right click on bluetooth driver as well as the wireless driver and click on 'uninstall'. (If you do not see bluetooth driver under 'Network Adapters', check under 'Bluetooth Radios'.)
  • Also, expand 'sound, video and game controllers' and right click on each entry listed and click on 'uninstall'
  • Restart the system and click on the link to install bluetooth driver: http://dell.to/ZOLn1u
  • Click on 'Continue'.
  • Restart the system and check device manager.

If you do not see any exclamation in device manager, install the sound driver: http://dell.to/PTg1ow following the above steps.

Please reply with the findings.

13 Posts

December 4th, 2012 09:00

I started following your instructions, but I'm not exactly sure which to uninstall and which to leave. See below...

Under Bluetooth Radios I see:

• Dell 1703 Bluetooth
  • Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator

Under Network adapters I see:

• Bluetooth (Personal Area Network)
  • Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
  • Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz)
  • Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Which of these 6 should I uninstall?

Also should I leave or uninstall Bluetooth Peripheral Device under Other devices ?

Thanks

James

1.1K Posts

December 5th, 2012 04:00

Hi James,

Please uninstall all the mentioned entries except 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller'.

Note: Wireless will not work after uninstalling the drivers. You can either connect your system with a wired Internet connection, or you can first download all the required drivers and then uninstall them.

13 Posts

December 5th, 2012 17:00

Hi again

I have followed your instructions and I still end up with Device Manager showing  Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a warning symbol under Other devices.

My steps were:

1. Uninstall

Uninstalled 3 devices from the expanded Network Adapters in Device Manager - the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller remained in this section.

Uninstalled Dell 1703 Bluetooth from the expanded Bluetooth Radios in Device Manager - the Bluetooth Radios heading then disappeared

Uninstalled all three entries in the expanded Sound, video and game controllers in Device Manager - the heading then disappeared

The Other devices heading had also disappeared so I did not uninstall that one

In the above uninstalls, whenever the option to delete the driver software was displayed I selected to do so.

2. Restart

Installing device driver software message displayed - eventually this changed to Device driver software was not successfully installed. Click here for further details.

Clicking the message opened up the Driver Software Installation Window which listed the following;

High Definition Audio Device                                 green tick                        Ready to use

Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz)             green tick                        Ready to use

High Definition Audio Device                                 green tick                        Ready to use

Bluetooth Device(RFCOMM Protocol TDI)            green tick                        Ready to use

Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator                            green tick                        Ready to use

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)           green tick                        Ready to use

Bluetooth LWFLT Device                                      green tick                         Ready to use

Bluetooth Peripheral Device                                  red cross                         No driver found

Virtual Bluetooth Support                                      green tick                         Ready to use

Blutooth Hard Copy Cable Replacement Server   green tick                         Ready to use

Bluetooth AVRCP Device                                      green tick                         Ready to use

HID-Compliant consumer control device               green tick                         Ready to use

and a [Close] button

There was also a popup box 'You must restart your computer to apply these changes' - I chose the [Restart Later] button to allow me to check Device Manager before continuing.

Start > My Computer > Manage > Device Manager >

Bluetooth Radios now lists:

• Generic Bluetooth Adapter

Network Adapters now lists:

Other devices shows:

• Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a warning symbol

3. Download and Install

I followed the link and downloaded the DW1703_W74_A00_Setup-MMX1J_ZPE.exe file to my desktop, right clicked and selected Run as Administrator.

I was presented with 3 options:

• Modify
  • Repair (already highlighted)
  • Remove

so I clicked [Next >] with the Repair option selected.

4. Restart

Start > My Computer > Manage > Device Manager >

Bluetooth Radios lists:

• Generic Bluetooth Adapter

Network Adapters now lists:

Other devices shows:

• Bluetooth Peripheral Device with a warning symbol

Your instructions said that if the Bluetooth Peripheral Device with the warning symbol was not listed I should then download and install the audio drivers - as the Bluetooth Peripheral Device with warning symbol is listed I did not proceed any further and have not re-downloaded and re-installed the audio drivers.

Sound, video and game controllers lists:

• High Definition Audio Device

Regards

James

1.1K Posts

December 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi James,

I appreciate your efforts and patience. It appears that the bluetooth driver is not getting installed. Uninstall the wireless and the blue tooth driver, restart the system and install the driver which may work: http://dell.to/UFr2wy

No Events found!