Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2012 07:00

Vostro260 noise

Hi All

Am considering a vostro 260 for business use but have read several reviews that report it has an annoying high ptched whine coming from the hard drive, has anyone experienced this? as it will be running for 8-9 hours a day every day I need a machine that will be relatively quiet.

Thanks   

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Hi Ollywest,

Dell uses a variety of hard drives, not one specific brand. So the reports of a high pitched whine is probably related to a certain model drive. Did the reviews specify the capacity of the drive?

2 Posts

May 10th, 2012 01:00

Hi Osprey, the reviews I've read were on the Dell site and a PC magazine and the machines in question had the standard 500GB hard drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 10th, 2012 10:00

Well, two ideas come to mind. First, you could order one with either a smaller or larger drive. Another idea would be to look at the Optiplex systems instead. They're designed as mainstream business machines, and I rather doubt there would be any chronic noise problems that Dell wouldn't be willing to fix. The prices will be a bit higher, but they're considered somewhat higher end desktops.

No Events found!