Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2010 12:00

W7/X-Fi Titanium --Creative Software Update Question--att: Firebird

I have an XPS630i running W7 Ultimate---upgraded from Vista Ultimate.

Sometimes when I have an update for my card  the update fails.. giving me a message like, "this update is not supported on this version of Windows please update to XP or later"

This confuses me, Firebird could you explain this to me?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 14th, 2010 13:00

Where are you getting the updates?  I only get updates from the Creative (SoundB laster) web site, I don't use the Microsoft (Windows) driver updates.  I just installed an Xfi Titanium Fata1ity Champion sound card in my Win 7 64 bit system.  The only update that is on the Creative site is for the ALchemy program, all the others are "old" drivers. 

The version of Windows 7, except for 32 or 64 bit, doesn't matter in reference to the Sound Drivers. 

When I installed the PCIe Xfi card two weeks ago I installed what came with the PC on the disc then the program automatically updated to the latest on the Creative site.  As I noted the only new update was the ALchemy program and that is only for certain games.

Which Xfi Titanium do you have?  There have been some issues with Windows 7 drivers for the Dell OEM versions or the Creative discontinued models.

8.8K Posts

January 14th, 2010 14:00

I got the Alchemy download the other day.

There were 2 on there today ( Auto Update Software Manager), one for the Sound Bank and one for

Dolby Digital Live Pack 4 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series 3.00.00

The one highlighted failed.

As far as where I go it's either Creative or the Download Manager.

Tbanks

Edit: Dolby Digital Live Pack 4 Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series 3.00.00 was not even on the Creative Webpage.

This is new:

I was not able to install it.

Release date : 12 Jan 10
This update resolves the hardware/device detection issue for Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ and X-Fi Titanium series of audio devices in Microsoft® Windows® 7. For more details, read the rest of this web release note.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2010 03:00

I installed that Product Identification Module Update, just now, and it went OK.  It's a small download.  I downloaded it from Creative.  Going to Creative gets you the latest updates.  If you go through Windows the updates are not always the latest versions due to the Microsoft validation process.  I don't use the Creative "autoupdater" either, just manually look at what is new (and if it's needed).

As I had previously downloaded the ALchemy update the Product ID was the only other download listed for my card. 

I know you said previously that Dell provided you with a "retail" version card but I wonder if that was really the case since you are having some problems with Creative updates.

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2010 08:00

Your post is in the right place.

Let's see what Firebird thinks?

12 Posts

January 15th, 2010 08:00

I go to the Creative website too for updates and have gotten the same message.  I am running Alienware Aurora ALX with Windows 7 64bit and the update tells me that I am not.  My card=Creative SB X-FI Titanium.  But since im a gamer, I probably should post over there where no one responds:( 
By the way  my voice is still playing back through my Alienware TactX Headphones, but at least my party can hear me now.  Creative loaded a driver for Windows to recognize a mic, go figure.  Maybe the other issues ( which I believe are driver related) will get fixed before I get tired of dealing with it.   Did I make a mistake, because this system was advertised as the ultimate gaming computer, I wanted it so bad.  So much for the awesome game sounds:(  Had to mute them.  I am so disappointed that I am looking into the RETURN policy for the entire system.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 15th, 2010 11:00

There have been a lot of issues with the Xfi series, both in Vista and Win 7.  In fact there were so many posted on this forum that when my old SoundBlaster went bad I avoided replacing it with another SoundBlaster and put a different card in, an HTO Striker 7.1 which worked great except it did not have any on board MIDI synths like the SoundBlaster and I needed the MIDI synths so I bit the bullet and bought a new Xfi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion (Fatl1ty with a separate I/O console).  So far no problems with this card, but I'm not a gamer so I can't say how it works in that scenario.  I do a lot of audio work and have a home recording studio with Sonar software on my PC.

Look over the posts in the Windows 7 Forum   HERE  as there is a lot of info on the Xfi's. You may want to post the gaming problems there, too. 

12 Posts

January 15th, 2010 15:00

Thank you I will do that.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 22nd, 2010 06:00

There is a SoundBlaster driver update on the Windows downloads and that is apprently what you got to fix the problems.  Check the Windows update list and see if that is what it is - about the only thing I can think of.   I saw that update was available on my download list but I didn't install it as my Xfi is working OK the way it is, the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

12 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 06:00

I wanted to post a follow-up.  After dealing with issues for over two weeks a Windows 7 update flows through and mysteriously my computer is working fine.  I wanted to play my games on it and party with groups (voice) to make sure all was truly well, and it is.  I didn't do anything but let the computer automatically update itself.  I am still amazed and very thrilled with the video, speed and gaming experience of my new Alienware Aurora ALX, with dual Nvidia Geforce SLI enabled  and Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium cards (forgive me if the terminology is incorrect).  I am throughly enjoying the sound from the Bose Companion 3 Series II and  the microphone clarity of the Alienware TactX Headset ( I don't use them at the same time, but i do switch back and forth).  Thank you everyone for posting with tips, suggestions, and direction----Take care....lp7p:emotion-2:

12 Posts

May 19th, 2011 11:00

Hello Everyone!  Firebird its your newb  non-techie friend again....lp7p, lol.  I could not find a place to ask this so I tracked down my last issue and you were so helpful then...I figured I'd see if I could get your advise again.  The sound has stopped working on the left ear side of my alienware TactX Headset.  I've run the Creative Diagnostics and that ear is showing as a broken connection.  Does that mean I need to purchase a new headset or is it something that can be repaired.  Thank you all for replying....lp7p

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 19th, 2011 12:00

Do you have another headset you can plug in and try?  That would be the best way to isolate to either the PC/Sound Card/Headphone jack or the Headset

12 Posts

May 20th, 2011 15:00

Hello Fireberd, thank you so much for responding.  I plugged in another headset (el cheapo....Logitech) and I have sounds in both ears.  So that means my TactX is broke:(  Well I guess i should be glad its just the headset and not the sound card.  Hope you have a fantastic weekend.  Thanks again...lp7p  P.S.  sorry about miss spelling your handle (twice, omg glad i got new glasses....lol)

No Events found!