Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 20th, 2007 06:00

WIIN XP MEDIA CENTER, CAN"T SHUT DOWN/RESTART FROM START MENU

have had this windows xp media center just over a year, of course the service warranty expired (just found that out, no notice to ectend or anything)...anyway, starting yesterday when i go to restart or shut down from the start menu, nothing happens.  the screen takes on the black and white appearance like it is to shut down, but after i click shut down the desktop comes back to normal again!  never had this happen with any computer i have had.  driving me crazy and i can't afford to do the pay for tech help (unless they charge it to my dell bill, bet that won''t happen)...can anyone help me with this...give me an idea what could be the cause. 

i have windows xp media center on a 310 i believe.  thanks for any help you can give me....someone told me not to get a dell but.....

thanks agiain,

kaki
send any responses to my email cause i may not get back to this site for a few days or so.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 20th, 2007 21:00

antkaki

When this happens, what is the reading of the power button LED, green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

Check the reading of Diagnostic Lights on the front panel?.

Try using this Shutdown & Startup Troubleshooter.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

8 Posts

June 21st, 2007 20:00

thanks for responding.  i did remember that i could hold the power button for about 5 seconds and it would go off.  the only thing is that when i went to turn it on the next day, it would get to the blue screenthat would say welcome but would only show the windows xp logo.  i finally got hold of someone at dell who after almost an hour of doing this and doing that, finally realized that i would have to do a complete wipe of the hard drive....so that is what i did.  don't know why it  did what it did, but i had to start ove completely.  no big deal as i knew most of what was on it and had burned it to disc earlier, so i was pretty much safe. 

thanks again for taking the time to respond.  BTW, the power button was a normal steady green when trying to turn it off. 

kaki

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 21st, 2007 22:00

antkaki

Pleased to hear that the problem, has been resolved. :)

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.
No Events found!