Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2016 05:00

Wake On Lan (WOL) not working on Dell precision tower 5810 with Intel ethernet server adapter i210-t1 at first power up / after no power

Hi there,

We've got 3 Dell precision towers 5810 that work great, except for a possible bios bug, which I can reproduce on all machines:

I'm using the installed NIC: Intel ethernet server adapter i210-t1.

Our computers go powerless every night (mains power) after a normal pc shutdown. Every morning, when the power is back on, I want to wake up all computers in our building with Wake On Lan (WOL) by sending a 'magic packet' over the network.

This normally works well if the machine has been switched on and off with the power button / windows shutdown. But when I unplug the machine (mains power), wait and plug in the mains power again, the computer does not respond to the WOL packet. (Maybe the PCI-E NIC does not get power on plugging in the mains of machine for the first time).

It works well on the integrated (motherboard) NIC. BIOS / power / sleep state settings seem to be ok.

9.4K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 08:00

Hi paulnotebaart,

Thanks for posting.

Here is some information you may find helpful:

http://dell.to/2gh5oM6

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 10:00

In addition to the good info Robert provided...

Do you really need WOL since you power off at the mains? Why not just use the AC Recovery options in BIOS setup and not bother sending a WOL magic packet?

AC Recovery
Specifies how the computer will respond when AC power is applied after a AC power loss. You can set AC Recovery to:

• Power Off (Default)
  • Power On
  • Last Power State

Set BIOS to Power On and save the change. The PCs will boot automatically as soon as the mains are powered again.

Alternatively, you could use Auto Time On in BIOS.

Auto Time On
Allows you to set the time at which the computer must turn on automatically. The options are:

• Disabled (Default)
  • Every Day
  • Weekdays
  • Select Days

Auto Time On might give you some additional flexibility vs AC Recovery...

EDIT: Using Auto Time On assumes the mains will be routinely powered up ahead of the time set for Auto Time On. :emotion-5:

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

December 2nd, 2016 11:00

There is also the problem that magic packets wont traverse sub domains with network switches and they are considered hostile packets at the firewall.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/91672-catl3-wol-vlans.html

If a Cisco interface is configured with the no ip directed-broadcast command, directed broadcasts that are otherwise exploded into link-layer broadcasts at that interface are dropped instead. This means that the no ip directed-broadcast command must be configured on every interface of every router that is connected to a target subnet. It is not sufficient to configure only on firewall routers. The no ip directed-broadcast command is the default in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.0 and later. In earlier releases, the command should be applied to every LAN interface that is not known to forward legitimate directed broadcasts.

"switchport mode access"

"switchport access vlan4"

"spanning-tree portfast"

WOL between VLANs must go through a layer 3 interface

http://www.solarwinds.com/free-tools/wake-on-lan

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2016 08:00

You might test one of the machines and just turn off the power supply switch.  My systems seem to power on differently if the power cable has been physically removed and turning off the mains would be about the same thing.

December 6th, 2016 02:00

Hi there, thanks for all your responses.

I tried different network switches (I'm using a very basic network switch, no vlan or what soever). Waking up other pc's works fine with a magic packet.

Waking up the Dell computers on their onboard (motherboard) network interface works fine too, even after unplugging the mains cable.

The problem only occurs when I use the  i210-t1 PCI-e network interface. And only after a complete power down with unplugging the mains cable. If the computer has been switched on once and shut down (soft) with the power button or windows shutdown, it works.

An automatic power up is not the best solution for us. Sometimes people switch on the power generator of the building over here while they don't need the pc's. Then switch off the generator without switching off the pc's, so the best solution.

For now I'm using the onboard network interface, which works fine.

But still this seems like a bug on the motherboard/firmware or the PCI-e network interface. All deep sleep functions and other power save modes are disabled and WOL does work once the pcs have been switched on once after power disconnect.

Best regards,

Paul

No Events found!