Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2014 14:00

Wake on LAN not working on Optiplex 9020

I am not able to get Wake on LAN to work on an Optiplex 9020 (small form factor).  I have the following BIOS settings under Power Management:
- Deep Sleep Control -> Disabled- Wake on LAN -> LAN Only
- Block Sleep -> Block Sleep (S3 State)

I have the following settings for the Intel Ethernet I217-LM card:
- Wake on Magic Packet from power off state -> Enabled
- Wake on Magic Packet - > Enabled
- Wake on Pattern Match -> Enabled

When the computer is powered off, the network card has NO LIGHTS.  Does that mean that Wake on LAN is not properly configured?  What setting am I missing?

In case this is relevant: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Thank you.
Jerry

14 Posts

January 29th, 2014 05:00

Not sure if this qualifies as a 'ping', but I opened an incident (case number

<ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>) with Dell support on 1/16/14.

The last update I've had was on 1/17, saying that the issue was being escalated to the engineering department.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2014 10:00

My tech contact responded that Dell is aware of the WOL issue and is working on a solution.

Stay tuned...

10 Posts

January 29th, 2014 13:00

Jerry, FWIW, that's a given with any PC: The NIC needs at least a link light to be illuminated or there's no hope of WOL working.  So, one of the first things I do when trying to get a new chassis to respond to WOL signals is to check for a link light when the PC is in S5 (off) and S3 (sleep).

Also, folks, the motherboard that came today for replacement on one of my units was the wrong part, incompatible with the Optiplex 9020.  I still do NOT know whether there even IS a MB architecture (vs. BIOS) problem.  Nobody at Dell seems to know whether, going forward, they are going to fix this issue in BIOS updates or Motherboard redesign.  I wish someone could determine the root cause so we could make plans based on whether we're going to have a series of MB replacements (yuck!) or BIOS downgrade followed by BIOS upgrade when released (much preferred).

Thanks,

Andy

4 Posts

January 29th, 2014 13:00

Thank you everyone for your help.  I downgraded to A02 and now the WOL works.  I also appreciate the confirmation that the network light needs to be on (or flashing) for WOL to work.

Hopefully, Dell will fix this soon.
Jerry

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 29th, 2014 17:00

the wrong part, incompatible with the Optiplex 9020

Ah, carumba! :emotion-12:

As I posted above, Dell said they're working on a fix but I have no specifics or an ETA. So watch this space. If I hear anything more from my contact, I'll post it here.

And remember, I don't work for Dell so all I can do is poke the giant - gently...  :emotion-5: 

14 Posts

February 10th, 2014 10:00

Received an E-mail from an engineer with Dell support, saying they have a new BIOS revision that should correct the issue.  It hasn't been publicly released yet, but an pre-release copy can be obtained if a valid nondisclosure agreement is on file with Dell. 

My reply is that as long as the revision is publicly released by the end of this month (Feb.), we can wait for it.  Otherwise, we may investigate the nondisclosure requirements.

10 Posts

February 10th, 2014 11:00

I don't see any reason to think that BIOS will be released in the near future.

I cannot be more specific than to suggest that anyone motivated to do so should get a ticket, sign an NDA, and get this BIOS.

14 Posts

Seeing as that the BIOS revisions have been released approximately every month or so since A00, I don't think there is any reason to suspect that the A06 BIOS will be unusually delayed.  For those unable/unwilling to wait, then getting a non-disclosure agreement may be the preferred route.

10 Posts

There was an implied "wink, wink" in my last post.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

February 10th, 2014 12:00

Glad to hear they're taking care of the problem!

232 Posts

February 11th, 2014 10:00

We entered Dell ticket SR 889401763 on this and Dell is coming out with an A06 version to correct the issue.

14 Posts

February 21st, 2014 05:00

I've decided to wait for the public release of the A06 BIOS, so Dell is archiving my case.

By the way....I was informed that mentioning the case number in this forum is some sort of violation (which was unintended, of course) of Dell's "Terms of Service".  Just an FYI, for if/when they redact that info from your post.

1 Message

February 21st, 2014 12:00

My brand new 9020 came with WOL disabled, but after going into the BIOS to enable WOL and disable Deep Sleep Control, WOL worked without having to downgrade the BIOS. Thanks to all for the help.

10 Posts

February 21st, 2014 12:00

If your 9020 came with the Intel NIC and a BIOS later than A02, I'd be interested to hear it.

13 Posts

February 26th, 2014 18:00

Bios A05 has the problem. This is brand new machine. How they still can sell machines with faulty Bios is unbelievable.
No Events found!