Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2014 14:00

Wake on LAN not working on Optiplex 9020

I am not able to get Wake on LAN to work on an Optiplex 9020 (small form factor).  I have the following BIOS settings under Power Management:
- Deep Sleep Control -> Disabled- Wake on LAN -> LAN Only
- Block Sleep -> Block Sleep (S3 State)

I have the following settings for the Intel Ethernet I217-LM card:
- Wake on Magic Packet from power off state -> Enabled
- Wake on Magic Packet - > Enabled
- Wake on Pattern Match -> Enabled

When the computer is powered off, the network card has NO LIGHTS.  Does that mean that Wake on LAN is not properly configured?  What setting am I missing?

In case this is relevant: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Thank you.
Jerry

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

August 8th, 2014 02:00

Good work, guys! :emotion-21:

Your efforts should help others fix this issue more easily.

It is actually sad that customers like us need to solve and document such issues. A good manufacturer should test and document such things - IMHO WOL is an essential feature. The manufacturer is making money with these products, and we are talking about mass products of a high class aimed at large organizations.

10 Posts

August 8th, 2014 14:00

I agree that documentation of what it takes to enable WOL would be nice. I also agree that it was a MAJOR oversight for Dell not to have tested WOL on BIOS updates to a line of PCs that are supposed to be top-of-the-line in remote manageability, but, to be fair, it was Dell (not the community) that fixed this issue. It's not like the community created the new BIOS/firmware that fixed it.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

No argument from here...

10 Posts

I'm at a complete loss as to why people are still struggling with this; the issue is 100% resolved. The recipes: Current Drivers (no kidding, right?) Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit): BIOS must be A07 (or higher, as they come out) BIOS settings different from default: disable Deep Sleep, enable WOL (nothing else, no need to block S3) OS: enable the WOL options for the NIC Make sure the OS is loaded and shut down properly once those settings are made. Windows 8.x: All of the above OS: disable fast boot (in addition to the NIC power management settings) before rebooting and shutting down. That's it. It works (and, if it doesn't and you've verified that with otherwise bone stock PCs and OS, you may have an uncooperative Ethernet switch and should test with a different one). Yes, if you have no link light on the NIC when the PC is off, you've done something wrong and WOL won't work. Wow! It's not as if I inserted no line breaks in this post. WTH is going on with formatting here?

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 8th, 2014 15:00

but, to be fair, it was Dell (not the community) that fixed this issue.

But who was it that brought this question directly to Dell's tech people and then pinged, nagged, pinged, and nagged some more to get this problem fixed...?  :emotion-4:

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

January 14th, 2015 23:00

I had an issue where a 9020 would not wake up from "Hibernate". I installed the latest Intel driver then from Windows 7 i disable "Power Management / Energy Efficient Ethernet"

BTW we had other issue with that network card, failing to autodetect properly network speed and doing constant autodetection event though we forced the speed. We set "Wait for link" to off together with applying a registry update to truly force the speed.

January 15th, 2015 05:00

What was the registry update you applied?

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

January 15th, 2015 05:00

regarding speed negotiation of Intel i217 : Full information here downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

The key is

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0007]
"LinkNegotiationProcess"="2"

and is actually set by using an Intel Utility/fix called LinkNegProc.exe

185 Posts

March 9th, 2016 10:00

Dell OptiPlex XE2 with A14 BIOS with Windows 10 x64 & latest 20.7 Intel drivers

WOL just does NOT work, no matter what settings are used & tried

Anybody having some brilliant idea how to get it actually working?

Seb

185 Posts

March 10th, 2016 01:00

As per blog mentioned above, the solution was (Win 8/10) Disable fast startups

6 Posts

March 10th, 2016 04:00

Hi everyone,

I found an easy solution on other forum:

1-Enter the Bios

2-Go to Power Management

3-Enable Wake-on LAN

4-Disable Deep Sleep

5-Block Sleep

6-Apply & exit

I have a meeting room to install and the teacher wants the computer to start automatically. 

It was an issue but this solution is working. Tested and approved.

No Events found!