ProtMB
1 Copper

RE: Wake on LAN not working on Optiplex 9020

Jump to solution

I have to admit this is really frustrating. I have a lab that uses about 40 of these and I still can't get WOL working.

We image our machines using the latest CABs from Dell using SCCM 2012.

We're using 32bit Win7 and I've followed all the BIOS recommendations here including: Disable Deep Sleep, disable S3 sleep. Disable power management in the O/S on the NIC driver.

I've even tried WOL, Lan only, with PXE, etc, etc. Even tried UEFI on and off...

Here's the weird thing. If I adjust any 'power management' type setting I will get 1 WOL boot off of the PC. I've verified this on 3 different 9020's. It will only work once, then it's back to not working, and the time it works, it tries booting off the network! Even if I change the boot order, or remove devices from the boot order. (By this time WOL completely breaks anyway so it's a broken experiment.)

Even disabling  power management in the NIC driver on the OS let's me get one (network only) WOL boot. Very frustrating...

0 Kudos
Andy Kinnard
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

There are a few variables in your scenario I can't or won't match in testing (CAB deployment, 32-bit OS, SCCM), but, I will suggest that disabling NIC power management in the OS seems like a wrong turn.

Also, you mention nothing about the BIOS revision (which is super important); only the (probably unavailable beta BIOS and) current version successfully supports WOL.

As far as BIOS settings (for Win 7 targets): The only required changes from OOB are disable "deep sleep" and enable WOL.

So, if I were you, I'd take one of your lab units, reset BIOS to defaults, set those two BIOS parameters, enable Win7 NIC power management (including checking the box to allow WOL), and test.  I bet that works.

If not, please indicate in your reply whether the link light remains lit (on the NIC) when your test PC is turned off.

Finally, you ARE referring to O9020 minitowers or SFF units, right?...(not all-in-ones or something).

0 Kudos
ProtMB
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for your response. I figured out what was wrong in a round about way....

First off, the BIOS version was A07 (as shipped), mini towers.

After taking your advice and resetting the BIOS and then going into Win 7 and re-enabling the changes I had made to the NIC power management, the WOL worked!

So I made the same changes to a few more PC's, cycled the BIOS' and they did not work! It was at this point I realized I have to not only cycle the BIOS but let the OS load. If I don't let Windows 7 load, the machines don't WOL.

I confirmed this on several PC's even with different BIOS changes, and they all worked IF I let the OS load. This finally sheds light on why I was chasing so many red herrings so to speak. I'd think some goofy change made it work, when in reality it was the OS load that would give me a 'false' positive.

Thankfully the whole lab is now responding, but I feel a bit of a fool for chasing ghosts for 2 days in that lab!

Thanks again for the suggestion.

0 Kudos
AnguelS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So I made the same changes to a few more PC's, cycled the BIOS' and they did not work! It was at this point I realized I have to not only cycle the BIOS but let the OS load. If I don't let Windows 7 load, the machines don't WOL.

It looks like it is important that the OS shuts down the PC and leaves the network card enabled. This is similar to Windows 8 where you need to turn off fast startup to make WOL work. Things get so complex with these new OS and energy saving stuff - it is a nightmare!

Anguel

7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Good work, guys!

Your efforts should help others fix this issue more easily.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
AnguelS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Good work, guys!

Your efforts should help others fix this issue more easily.

It is actually sad that customers like us need to solve and document such issues. A good manufacturer should test and document such things - IMHO WOL is an essential feature. The manufacturer is making money with these products, and we are talking about mass products of a high class aimed at large organizations.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

No argument from here...

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Andy Kinnard
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
I'm at a complete loss as to why people are still struggling with this; the issue is 100% resolved. The recipes: Current Drivers (no kidding, right?) Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit): BIOS must be A07 (or higher, as they come out) BIOS settings different from default: disable Deep Sleep, enable WOL (nothing else, no need to block S3) OS: enable the WOL options for the NIC Make sure the OS is loaded and shut down properly once those settings are made. Windows 8.x: All of the above OS: disable fast boot (in addition to the NIC power management settings) before rebooting and shutting down. That's it. It works (and, if it doesn't and you've verified that with otherwise bone stock PCs and OS, you may have an uncooperative Ethernet switch and should test with a different one). Yes, if you have no link light on the NIC when the PC is off, you've done something wrong and WOL won't work. Wow! It's not as if I inserted no line breaks in this post. WTH is going on with formatting here?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andy Kinnard
1 Nickel

Jump to solution
I agree that documentation of what it takes to enable WOL would be nice. I also agree that it was a MAJOR oversight for Dell not to have tested WOL on BIOS updates to a line of PCs that are supposed to be top-of-the-line in remote manageability, but, to be fair, it was Dell (not the community) that fixed this issue. It's not like the community created the new BIOS/firmware that fixed it.
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

but, to be fair, it was Dell (not the community) that fixed this issue.

But who was it that brought this question directly to Dell's tech people and then pinged, nagged, pinged, and nagged some more to get this problem fixed...? 

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos