September 16th, 2008 11:00

Want to run Vista 64bit

Hi All

I have a new XPS 630i overall happy :)
XPS 630i
4gb Ram
2X750 HDD
Nvidia Geforce 9800GT (1)

But I have spend the last few days trying to get it to run Vista Ultimate 64 bit with variable results.

1. I tried a "en_windows_vista_x64_dvd_X12-40712" and I got the reboot loop ( I realised later here it was the 4 GB ram issue)
  2. Then I downloaded a "en_windows_vista_ultimate_with_service_pack_1_checked_build_x64_dvd_71940" from technet (got  a work subscription)This would not get past the "installing features" just sat there for at least 20 min so I just gave up.

Is there a version you can get that will work out of the box so to speak?

Thanks
Chris

14.4K Posts

If your system came with vista installed you can request the 64 bit version of the same flavor from Dell.

Are you using the onboard Sigmatel sound? There is an issue with that and SP1.

36 Posts

Thanks Davet50 ... will have to ask about that! Sometimes hereDell take there time! :)

Think the sound is the onboard realtek ALC888HD not sure if that the sigmatel you refering to?

799 Posts

September 16th, 2008 13:00

@St0rm wrote:

Hi All

I have a new XPS 630i overall happy :)
XPS 630i
4gb Ram
2X750 HDD
Nvidia Geforce 9800GT (1)

But I have spend the last few days trying to get it to run Vista Ultimate 64 bit with variable results.

1. I tried a "en_windows_vista_x64_dvd_X12-40712" and I got the reboot loop ( I realised later here it was the 4 GB ram issue)
  2. Then I downloaded a "en_windows_vista_ultimate_with_service_pack_1_checked_build_x64_dvd_71940" from technet (got  a work subscription)This would not get past the "installing features" just sat there for at least 20 min so I just gave up.

Is there a version you can get that will work out of the box so to speak?

Thanks
Chris

Hello St0rm, Are you upgrading from x86 (32bit)? If so you will need to backup any data you have installed since you got the system and do a reformat and a fresh install of the x64 bit version.

I tried to do an upgrade and was not successful, but a reformat and fresh install did the trick. 

This has been mentioned many times here.

Hope this helps. 

87 Posts

September 16th, 2008 15:00

I installed Vista Ultimate 64bit which came from dell today, it installed fine even with 4 gig of ram installed.  The disc is the sp1 version.

36 Posts

September 17th, 2008 06:00

Hi Doug!

Are you guys in the US?

Dell here tells me they don't have 64 bit, yet the DVD with the Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT driver had drivers for XP,Vist 32 & 64 bit :)

36 Posts

September 17th, 2008 06:00

Hi Hans

Not sure what is going on here in Aus :)

I went and got a Vista Ultimate upgrade this morning (has bboth 32 & 64 bit DVD's), it would not do the install via Vista home prem so I deleted the partision, only to find out the key would not work. After calling M$ they told me I have to be running a 64 bit version of the OS to do that :smileymad:

So I used a work technet key I got installed and ran 100% :)

I then went back to Dell Vista home Prem, called Dell they cannot give me a version of Home Prem 64 bit!

So took the disc I bought back to the sotre they gave me a refund.

I just called my local PC store I deal with at work and ordered a OEM Ultimate 64 bit! I hope that work :smileysurprised:

87 Posts

September 17th, 2008 10:00

Im in the UK but i got help from this forum getting my Vista 64 dvd

36 Posts

September 17th, 2008 10:00

Hi Doughy

Cool!

It seem there is a lot of good help here!

I will get my Disc tomorrow but it cost me $$$ :)

160 Posts

September 17th, 2008 12:00

St0rm-

I would study the Vista 64bit thread under XPS Desktops.  Sometimes you need to quote the correct policy bulletin to Dell Customer Service to get the 64-bit disks.  Some Techs know about the policy of swapping Operating Systems and getting the disks is very easy.  Some resist with ALL kinds of excuses and reasons why they cannot (I think they only read the first part of the policy) send you the disk.  Once they (or their supervisor) read the whole policy, they usually will dispatch the disks.  If they continue to give you the runaround, check about PMing Community Forum Liason Chris_M to have him arrange for the dispatch.  He (And BillB) have been AMAZING at getting 64bit disks shipped to customers.

Tom
XPS 420, Q6600, 4GB, 500x2, Radeon HD2600XT, Bluetooth, eSATA, Ultimate SP1
XPS 420, Q6700, 4GB, 750GB x 2 (RAID 0), GeForce 8800 GT, Xcellerator, Bluetooth, eSATA, Ultimate 64-bit SP1
XPS M1330, 2.2GHz, 4GB, 200GB (7200), Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1
XPS M1330, 2.0GHz, 4GB, 320GB, Quad-Boot: Vista Ultimate 64-bit SP1, XP Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu 8.04 & Media Direct

799 Posts

September 17th, 2008 13:00

@zrtom wrote:

St0rm-

I would study the Vista 64bit thread under XPS Desktops.  Sometimes you need to quote the correct policy bulletin to Dell Customer Service to get the 64-bit disks.  Some Techs know about the policy of swapping Operating Systems and getting the disks is very easy.  Some resist with ALL kinds of excuses and reasons why they cannot (I think they only read the first part of the policy) send you the disk.  Once they (or their supervisor) read the whole policy, they usually will dispatch the disks.  If they continue to give you the runaround, check about PMing Community Forum Liason Chris_M to have him arrange for the dispatch.  He (And BillB) have been AMAZING at getting 64bit disks shipped to customers.

I would agree with Chris M helping to acquire the Dell x64 disk. I am not totally sure, but I think I read somewhere, probably here, that this was only available for Dell US customers and it was Vista Ultimate x64.

I made my request to Chris M a while back and received the DVD within days.

I want to thank Chris M for this, since without his assistance, this would not have been possible.

I installed the x64 version without performing a reformat and I did not get the results I expected.

I later learned that the x64 bit version requires a reformat and fresh install in order to work properly. I did this and it did seem to work as designed after the x64 drivers were installed.

Since I had hardware issues with my original system, Dell exchanged the system and the new one came with x32 bit Home Premium, as the original.

I did not go back to x64 since I saw no performace gain and most of my software ran in x32 bit mode.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by Hanspuppa on 09-17-2008 09:23 AM

36 Posts

September 18th, 2008 02:00

Hi Zrtom & Hans

I have bothered Chris_M with a pm

Looks like only US customer, always gets me why Aussies must be second rate customers to Dell!

I endup buying a copy of Vista UL 64 bit, not really getting anywhere with Dell here!

Thanks for all your help!

Message Edited by St0rm on 09-18-2008 01:16 PM

13 Posts

September 18th, 2008 09:00

Sames goes to ME. In malaysia. tried to get TECH support for O/s swap. no idea when i'm getting it.

36 Posts

September 18th, 2008 10:00

We can juts hope then :)

No Events found!