Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2011 17:00

Want to upgrade my videocard, can anyone help please?

A while back I used to do a lot of upgrades to my machines but ever since I got married I tried to avoid the hassle of building my own rig so I bought a dell machine, here are my specs.

Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 2.67Ghz

Ram: 12gb

Videocard: ATI Radeon 5800 series.

Mother board: Manufacturer DELL, Product 0X501H, Chipset, Intel X58, Southbridge INTEL ICH10R, ROM Size: 4mb Bios Version, A16.

As you can see, the computer is still good for a number of years in every area for all my gaming, video streaming/converting and multitasking needs except for the videocard, which is already kind of getting dated.

I wanted to upgrade it to a newer nvidia or ati model (i tend to prefer nvidia) but I havent upgraded a videocard manualy in over 4 years and I just want to make sure which are my options here. I know the motherboard and the power supply need to be compatible with the card but I am so out of the loop at the moment that I dont know what works and what doesnt with my machine.

I guess I could just open it up and look at the power supply but I came here first to ask for help.

Thanks!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 18th, 2011 16:00

If the new card needs an extra power connection directly to the power supply, make sure you have one free power connector  before considering that card.

And confirm that the power supply connector matches what the video card uses, too.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 17th, 2011 18:00

The 435T/9000 has a PCI-e x16 video slot. The power supply is 475 W. So that should give you a start on what cards to consider.

As for what's a good card at a reasonable price, that's compatible with whatever version of Windows you're using, somebody else will have answer that...

Instructions to install a PCI-e video card are here.

140 Posts

October 18th, 2011 15:00

Alright, thanks so much for the info on my computer, sounds like I should be able to install most of what's out there for sale, right?

No Events found!