Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 14th, 2016 14:00

Wanting to upgrade an XPS 8700 Graphics Card

Hello, I'm totally new to pretty much all of this, but I bought a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop with a AMD Radeon 7570 about 4 or 5 years ago and at the time didn't know anything about computers at all.

Since then however I've learned quite a bit about Hardware but I'm definitely a novice still, I've only ever upgraded a couple Laptop Hard Drives, nothing major like this.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips or Suggestions on what Graphics card I can or should use I could really use the help.

If it helps here's my Specs PDF

downloads.dell.com/.../xps-8700_reference guide_en-us.pdf

1.2K Posts

December 15th, 2016 11:00

Wanting to play No Man's Sky and my default card can't even dream of touching it.

Budget: $300-400

Monitor Resolution: 1080p (I'm hoping to be able to game in this resolution)

GTX 480 is the required card for that game. It is really old, but was really good at the time.

A GTX 1060 is the current model card that works great in an 8700 without a power supply update.

GTX 1060s are faster than GTX 970s which were about equal to GTX 780 which was better than the GTX 680 and so on so it should do really well with that game at that resolution.

I don't know much about newer AMD cards so I won't offer an opinion.

My personal preference is the MSI Gaming models. copy paste this into your search and you'll find it.

MSI GEFORCE® GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G

If you can wait a few weeks, the christmas price crunch should allow the prices to soften a little. Most all the cards are listed at or near or above list price right now without any rebates.

I'm 99% sure this card will work and will be great in an 8700.

We have an MSI GTX 970 in one of our 8700s and it games really well and the 1060 is a tad faster than the 970 is.

good luck.

1.2K Posts

December 15th, 2016 00:00

a couple of threads for some light reading.

en.community.dell.com/.../19611037

en.community.dell.com/.../19981025

what are you wanting to do with a better graphics card? Game? Photo/video editing?

What is your budget?

What is your monitor resolution?

The default "best card" without knowing more about what is needed is a GTX 1060.

I like the MSI Gaming 6GB. It will install easily, and does not need a power supply upgrade.

You must upgrade BIOS to A10 for Win7/8 or A11 for Win10.

December 15th, 2016 00:00

Wanting to play No Man's Sky and my default card can't even dream of touching it.

Budget: $300-400

Monitor Resolution: 1080p (I'm hoping to be able to game in this resolution)

And correct me if I'm wrong on this but from my understanding if your Motherboard has a PCI-E 16 slot (and of course the space to fit a single or double width) you can use most graphics cards? Or are certain Motherboards just not compatible with certain cards?

532 Posts

December 15th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

We’re listening. To answer your question, XPS 8700 has a PCI-E 16 slot and the computer is factory shipped with the power supply unit of 460 Watts. While purchasing a graphics card, please consider these two factors that is PCI-E 16 slot and the PSU. If you’d like to upgrade the graphics cars with more power, you can change the power supply unit for the system.

In regards with the game “No Man’s sky” the minimum requirement for the graphic card is NVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870.

Please let us know if you have any queries for us.

No Events found!