Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 7th, 2008 19:00

Warranty issue

Posting this message to see if anyone knows what I can do about my warranty issue.

I purchased a desktop from my local wal-mart on 11/23/07, On 11/4/08 my desktop stopped working correctly. So I booted up to the utility partition and ran diagnostics. Found that the stick of memory in slot 1 has gone bad. So I then called dell support and gave the service tag number to the rep. The rep informed me that the system was showing in there database that it was purchased on 10/5/07, and that the warranty had expired on the system. So I requested to speak with a supervisor and explain the entire situation to the supervisor. The supervisor then told me that this was NOT a dell issue that I needed to call Wal-Mart and have them change the purchase date in the dell database. (Now that just doesn't make any since to me as this is a dell database issue not wal-mart.) So just for the heck of it I proceeded to call wal-mart customer care and explained my situation to the rep, after waiting on hold the rep came back on the line and proceeded to tell me that the 10/5/07 date was the date that wal-mart put in the order for the system and not the date that I purchased the system, and that they could not change the date in the "so called" database. So now I do not know what to do from here.  I have a receipt showing that I purchased this system as a consumer on 11/23/07, and it was sold with a 1 year warranty, but it seems like to me Dell isn't going to man up and recognize that the purchase date is as a consumer wrong and acknowledge my consumer purchase date of 11/23/07. I was never asked to even think about sending in a copy of my receipt in which clearly shows this date.

Thanks

2.2K Posts

November 7th, 2008 21:00

Did you register it when you bought it? According to this (quoted from Dell's online warranty info.) the warranty should indeed start on the purchase date. (though I guess it doe snot specify if they mean the date YOU or Wal Mart purchased it....)

Perhaps there is a place in the registration process to input your purchase date... Good luck.

COPIED FROM DELL WARRANTY INFO>>>>>>>

DELL-BRANDED WARRANTIES AND SERVICES ARE EFFECTIVE WHEN YOU HAVE TRANSFERRED THE OWNERSHIP OF THE PRODUCT INTO YOUR NAME, ALTHOUGH THE WARRANTY PERIOD COMMENCES ON THE DATE OF THE PURCHASE. YOU MAY FIND THE INSTRUCTIONS FOR HOW TO TRANSFER OWNERSHIP INTO YOUR NAME IN THE DOCUMENTATION FOUND WITH YOUR COMPUTER OR BY VISITING http://www.dell.com/register.

5 Posts

November 8th, 2008 10:00

I went and tried to register and I got a failed transfer. There was no place to input my purchase date either. If you ask me this is a dell issue and they are not honoring the 1 year warranty that came with the system.

2.2K Posts

November 9th, 2008 19:00

Was that transfer attempted when it was new?

I am guessing, but it may be possible that if the one year was beyond the only date Dell had (when they sold it to Wal Mart), that may have caused the failure to transfer....

Just a guess there. Good luck, and let us know how you resolve this.

5 Posts

November 10th, 2008 13:00

I was never aware that I needed to "register and transfer" when i purchased my system. I would just like to get a hold of someone at dell that will actually listen to me instead of trying to hurry up and put the blame on wal-mart. I have a receipt showing the date and all I really want is an even memory chip exchange!

1 Message

November 10th, 2008 14:00

Good Luck and post back if you have any progress. I bought a Dell Inspiron system a local Best Buy store and Dell will not even talk to me. I was told by supervisors that ALL of my service has to go through geek squad (best buy's service dept.) Poor...Poor...Poor... service. I will not buy dell again if they are going to refuse to support their products only because I did not mail order through them.

2.2K Posts

November 10th, 2008 14:00

Best Buy Dells are only warranted at Best Buy. While that fact is published, people expect a Dell to be warranted through Dell. I recommend against buyng a Dell there for that reason.

jratt... There was supposed to be registration information in the box when you got it. Good luck. It's kind of an awkward spot, as Dell sold it on the 5th of October. Wal Mart then resold it  to you after some of the warranty was gone, so I understand Dell's reasoning that it is a Wal Mart issue. I think the registration process takes care of that for most people, but since that was not done here, I don't know who (if anyone) will ultimately get this worked out for you.

Have you tried the Unresolved Issues form - see link at the bottom of this page. That works well for many who need to get their issues looked at more closely.  Again, good luck.

5 Posts

November 10th, 2008 15:00

Thanks for your replys, I have tried the unresolved issues, and it will not let me submit it because I do not have a valid order number, so I guess I am just totally out of luck.

2.2K Posts

November 10th, 2008 16:00

I think that happens when people do not register it....

151 Posts

Wow, that really . I was thinking about buying a new dell from wal-mart. But, with that being said, maybe not. My father got one from wal-mart, the XPS, so far no problems with his system. I wonder how many people have had this happen?

here's another: they to bought a computer at wal-mart and the warranty started when walmart purchased the system

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r19595834-Dell-Warranty-when-purchased-at-Walmart

2.2K Posts

Look WAY at the bottom of this pa

5 Posts

I think that something needs to be done except putting it in small print somewhere that looks like a speck of dust. I will NEVER buy another dell period and will advise everyone I see to NEVER buy one! Sad thing is, I am a corporate IT manager and was thinking about switching over to dell as our main computer line, was going to order over 500 systems on the first order, but not now!

2.2K Posts

Look WAY at the bottom of this page, the small print in the links at the very bottom.

Good luck.

No Events found!