Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2013 12:00

What DVD Burner is in XPS 8700?

I have a new XPS 8700 on the way. The packing list states it has a 429-AAAG 16X CD/DVD burner. Exactly what is the make and model of this burner? I need to plan adding a second burner and having this information would help me choose the second one.

October 28th, 2013 23:00

Hi vivona,

XPS 8700 comes with a 16X SATA, Half Height, DVD+/-RW (DVD Re-Writer).

You may also check the system configuration on the Dell support website.

Click on the link http://dell.to/1eZmZmo and enter the system service tag. Go to ‘System Configuration’ tab to view the original configuration of the system.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

43 Posts

October 29th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for your prompt reply. I had seen that information in my system configuration, but wasn't sure what half-height meant. I thought that it may indicate a slimline drive, like in a notebook, even though the picture of the XPS 8700 case, and downloaded manual, shows a regular sized drive bay. I did some research and found that half-height means the standard size, 1 5/8" tall, of modern desktop DVD burners. So, am I correct that this drive is 1 5/8" high?

Can I also safely assume that any regular SATA DVD burner will work as long as it is spec'd for my Win 7 OS?

October 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi vivona,

Yes, the half-height drive bays are the standard size for the CD/DVD burners presently.

Half-height drive bays are 1⅝ high and 5¾ wide (41.3 × 146 mm).

A regular half-height internal SATA DVD burner should work well with the system.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

4 Posts

May 30th, 2017 11:00

Is this a Dual layer drive?

No Events found!