Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2011 05:00

What are the cables in the drive area? Optiplex 755 Desktop

Question regarding the cables inside my Dell Optiplex 755 - Desktop configuration with WinXPPro

Last night I added some RAM but had to move the Optical Drive (CD-DVD) out of the way to access a RAM slot. When I put everything back together, I saw there was an extra cable (maybe SATA?) in the area of the drives, which cable is not connected to anything. Is that right? Everything seems fine this morning, and the new RAM had good diagnostic results. In the drive area, I have a hard drive and an optical drive - no floppy or card reader. What is that extra cable for? Also, is there a diagram showing the cables in that area? The Dell manual does NOT show the cables. Thanks.

14.4K Posts

January 29th, 2011 05:00

which version of the system do you have? there are several versions of your model. The cable is an extra connection for either a floppy drive or another harddrive

309 Posts

January 29th, 2011 13:00

Dear davet - Thanks for your reply, but Dell Support emailed me with the answer.  Yes, the manual does have a pic of the cables in the section re replacing the power supply.  I re-checked, and the "extra" cable and plug is P4 from the power supply. 

However, please confirm that, since I have only an optical (CD and DVD) drive and one hard drive, and no floppy or card reader, it is correct for P4 to be sitting there not plugged in to anything.

My model Optiplex 755 is "Desktop".

14.4K Posts

January 29th, 2011 14:00

P4 is the floppy drive connector. P3 would be for and IDE drive power either harddrive or optical.P5 and 6 Are SATA power connectors for either a SATA harddrive or Optical.

Since you state you have no floppy drive the connector is tucked away.

No Events found!