Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2011 17:00

What do I do with a dead Dell ?

I have a Inspiron 546 Desktop running Windows 7. It is not even two years old. Started freezing up on me a couple of weeks ago. Finally would not boot at all. Right now I can't even boot to the CMOS. On/Off button lights, busy light below it doesn't, fans work, light on mother board lights, dvd drive seems to work. When I push the on/off button nothing comes up on the monitor except No Signal, computer does make noise. Tried holding down esc key at start to get into CMOS settings but nothing happens. Also tried the F2 key. Also reset the jumper on the CMOS reset pins. Still nothing. My main question is where do I go from here and who should I get to trouble shoot it? Local or Dell? Does Dell even have techs that go out to repair their computers. I believe they must because this same computer quit when it was not even a couple months old but still under warranty and they sent someone to install new memory and hard drive. How do I find out who to call?

14.4K Posts

October 20th, 2011 18:00

Since you are over a year old your onsite warranty is most likely expired as well as your total warranty depending on how many years you opted for. So if you are willing to try and fix  this yourself we can sure give it a go in helping you troubleshoot the system. If not then a local shop would be the better choice.

We could start by looking at your power button light. You say it lights, is it a solid light or is flashing? and what color is it?

872 Posts

October 20th, 2011 21:00

7 Posts

Power button is solid white. Also when I open the dvd it keeps going in and out, will not stay out long enough to put a cd in.

7 Posts

Problem is I can't get to the Dell splash screen or the Windows one so I can't trouble shoot anything. Last time I was able to get it to work (last Saturday) I made it go back to a week before just in case I had done something wrong. Got to back some stuff up and ran checkdsk and left it on for the night. Got up the next morning and my screen saver had frozen. Shut down and tried to restart and nothing. Haven't been able to get it to work since then.  

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 21st, 2011 01:00

My relative's Dimension 5150 started acting up (after six years of ownership) ... my suspicion was the power supply, and so it was. A new one (non-Dell) was $30, but it also needed a right angle SATA adapter, which was a few dollars more. In any event, a PC that was on the verge of recycling is back in use for a few more years.

The power supply would be the first item I'd check; in the last six months, I've fixed two different computers, both with "freezing" problems, by replacing their power supplies with aftermarket Cooler Master units. One was a generic, and the other a Dell 5150. In the first case, it took me three days of troubleshooting before I found the issue; I changed the video card first, then the hard drive, and finally the power supply (after which it was fine).

7 Posts

October 21st, 2011 16:00

Would the power supply work some stuff and not other? I do have power to the fans, lights, dvd drive. I would think if a ps went bad that it wouldn't work anything. I would like and probably can trouble shoot this myself,  I'm just not sure where to start. If I can't get into the setup or even get close to booting up what do I start changing first? I know how to replace everything just don't want to replace everything but what I need to. Why would the power supply make the machine not go to the CMOS? I should be able to get into that no matter what shouldn't I? Any reason for me to replace the button battery on the motherboard?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 21st, 2011 21:00

Yes, it could work some components and not others. For example, the generic machine I had booted up but would freeze after a few minutes; I eventually tried reinstalling Windows but the install proceeded abnormally slowly. The relative's machine would BSOD on bootup sometimes, while other times it would successfully boot up only to freeze shortly afterwards.

If the power supply is exceptionally flaky, the machine won't boot at all, even to the BIOS. Of course, there are other problems that could cause this, but the power supply (in my experience) is one of the first things to check.

As for the button battery, I've never replaced one of those and I've never had a machine fail to boot because of it (and I have a whole collection of PCs).

7 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 06:00

From what I've read it seems a bit much for me to try and troubleshoot the power supply. What am I looking at as far as buying a new one and just putting it in, as far as cost and supplier? Should I just buy a Dell to make sure I get the right one? Symptoms do sound like what went on with the machines you were working on.

Luckily I have my laptop which I believe caused all the problems. Think the desktop got jealous of all the time I use the laptop now and not it. lol

Will investigate what a new power supply will cost and probably go that route first. How do I tell what I need?

No Events found!