dholeman1
1 Copper

What is Dell planning to do about this: Severe Intel security issue may impact all Macs and Windows PCs?

Seems to me a new processor will be needed, under warranty.

"The bad news is that the patch involves slowing down all these computers by up to 30%."

bgr.com/.../

0 Kudos
16 Replies
8 Xenon

RE: What is Dell planning to do about this: Severe Intel security issue may impact all Macs and Windows PCs?

It's up to Intel - but it's inconceivable there will be a hardware solution -- it will be solved with software.

Intel sells upward of half a billion CPUs per year - multiply that by the number of years and it would make the replacement of all the Takata-built airbag assemblies (which is taking years) look easy.  There is  no way to replace the CPUs -- the software will be patched by Microsoft, Apple (and the Linux community).

0 Kudos
dholeman1
1 Copper

RE: What is Dell planning to do about this: Severe Intel security issue may impact all Macs and Windows PCs?

A warranty is a warranty. Free from defects means just what is says. I want a new processor.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Germanium

Unless Intel recalls the affected processors, you probably won't get one since it appears to possibly effect everything from Pentium systems on up.

0 Kudos
dholeman1
1 Copper

From my perspective as a buyer this is Dell's problem not Intel's.

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Germanium

Dell doesn't make the CPU, so Intel would have to recall it.  Just like the airbag recall, the Car Manufactures couldn't do anything until they received new airbags.  Dell could swap out your CPU but it would be the same 'faulty' CPU since as far as I've read, Intel hasn't updated their CPUs.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ieee488
5 Iridium

BeamerMT79 is right!

I have a Honda Accord that had the defective Takata airbags.

Honda had to wait for non-defective airbags from Takata.

Mine were replaced fairly quickly.

I know of a person with a Ford who is still waiting with no completion date in sight.

0 Kudos
dholeman1
1 Copper

We cannot go to directly Intel any more than Beamer could go to directly to Takata, Honda owned the problem and stepped up. Let's hope Dell is more like Honda than like Ford.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

It's Microsoft that has to do the patching - and that's reportedly to be released on January 10.  This isn't fixable at the  hardware level, period.  

Recalling 70 million airbags destroyed Takata - Intel produces that many CPUs in just two to three months.  

0 Kudos
ieee488
5 Iridium

Why isn't it fixable at the hardware level?

0 Kudos