Highlighted
rwilkins1
1 Nickel

What is the purpose, and why would you partition and format an external hard drive?

Hello,

I just purchased the Western Digital "My Book" 750GB external hard drive. After I installed it to my computer I noticed it had some files that were already preloaded, for example, user manuals in .pdf that you could select in various language formats. So, I selected the manual that had the english format. As I was reading, I came to a paragraph that stated "To partition and format the external hard drive". This raised the question, What is the purpose, and why would you "partition and format an external hard drive"?

If someone would educate me on this subject, I would be very appreciative. As a matter of fact, I would even pay them for their expertise. 🙂

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ieee488
5 Rhenium

Re: What is the purpose, and why would you partition and format an external hard drive?

A hard drive is unusable unless it is partitioned and formatted. It sounds like your WD is ready for use. Do you know if it is formatted as FAT32 or NTFS?

0 Kudos
rwilkins1
1 Nickel

Re: What is the purpose, and why would you partition and format an external hard drive?

Yes, the hard drive is formatted as FAT32. The reason I ask this question, I watched a YouTube video of a guy who purchased the same hard drive I did, The Western Digital, My Book, 750 GB.  In the YouTube video, the guy said he was going to partition the hard drive to accomadate more space.

I don't understand the part, partition the hard drive to accomadate more space?

0 Kudos
jjon90
2 Iron

Maybe he was talking about reformatting from Fat32 to NTFS to be able to transfer files bigger than 2GB??

0 Kudos
ieee488
5 Rhenium

Maybe he was talking about reformatting from Fat32 to NTFS to be able to transfer files bigger than 2GB??

That's the only thing that he could possibly be talking about. Though perhaps he doesn't really understand either. emoticon.Surprise.title

0 Kudos
rwilkins1
1 Nickel

Ok, thanks for sharing your knowledge!!  emoticon.Idea.title

0 Kudos