Genius-Boy
1 Copper

What kind of graphic cards does Dimension 8400 support?

Hello!

The subject title says it all: What kind of graphic cards does my Dell Dimension 8400 system support? It's a LGA 775 socket with i925x chipset, powered by a stock 350W PSU. I'm just curious. 🙂 I am not planning to upgrade or something, just want to know...I am aware of that I'll need an extra power connector if the GPU consumes more than 75W (the PCIE will not be sufficient), but does the stock D8400 PSU have a 6-pin connector?

I've done some research on the web, and terms like "low profile ready" is getting me confused. What does this mean? I've also noticed that cards have different bracket size; see like this and this, for example. What's the difference between these? Right now I am doing fine with my HD4670 1GB, which has the "slim" design. Will the "thick" type GPUs fit in my case? There is no problem if they have to occupy two slots, one PCIE and one PCI. It's obvious the thick GPUs are more powerful and modern, maybe too new for my six year old D8400. 🙂

I am thankful for any reply and advice!

GB

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: What kind of graphic cards does Dimension 8400 support?

Hi GB,

You have a regular tower and don't need a low-profile card. The difference between the two you linked to are that one of these takes up two slots, which is probably going to be overkill for your system.

Here's one recommendation for an upgrade that doesn't require a PSU replacement. And here are some recommendations that do require a heftier PSU. This topic has been discussed to death, so just try a forum search for more ideas.

0 Kudos
Genius-Boy
1 Copper

Thanks for answering, Osprey. Oh, I shall use the search function more often. Now I am thinking about going for a PSU replacement finally, so I can get some better GPU in my system and prolonge its lifetime. I've also plans for doing some HD watching on my new Samsung BX2450 24" LED monitor. 🙂

The PSU seems to be good (rated), but is there existing a PSU with more wattage that is Dell-compatible? By the way, I'm living in Norway where they use power plugs/sockets like this one, not the one on the photo you gave me link to (probably US type). How can I get it to work in my home?

EDIT: I also want to add a case fan to keep my computer cool and quiet under high load. It seems like this one fit in Dell systems, but where do I've to install this fan? I've no case fan now, probably. Is it a replacement for the fan that's behind the heatsink (isn't it the CPU fan?), or is it an extra fan that I could install in the clips on the side of the case? Users who have put this fan in their systems have done cutting of wires, that's scaring me! It has a 4-pin molex connector while the stock fan has 3-pin, so the Antec fan should be connected to Molex connector directly from PSU, am I right? Sorry for adding these questions, but it is related to a possible GPU upgrade in the near future.

GB 

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

I've done some research on the web, and terms like "low profile ready" is getting me confused. What does this mean? I've also noticed that cards have different bracket size; see like this and this, for example. What's the difference between these? Right now I am doing fine with my HD4670 1GB, which has the "slim" design. Will the "thick" type GPUs fit in my case? There is no problem if they have to occupy two slots, one PCIE and one PCI. It's obvious the thick GPUs are more powerful and modern, maybe too new for my six year old D8400.
Low profile-ready refers to cards that can be adapted for use in slim (half-height) cases.

I'd suggest a card like the 5670 if it weren't for concerns about BIOS compatibility. For example, I did get a 5XXX-series card to work in a five-year-old board, but it won't resume from S3 sleep. (It will resume from S1 sleep.)

0 Kudos