Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2009 18:00

What's the best thing after a crash?

A couple weeks ago my Dimension E521 crashed with a HAL.DLL error. After a bunch of playing around, I finally got rebooted. Well, everything was messed up. I couldn't even get the PC Restore to run to get myself back to factory settings. So I finally gave up and reformatted and reinstalled Vista. I ran into all sort of problems (like my Dell A960 printer wouldn't communicate with  the computer).

So I finally gave up and called tech support (and spent the money for software support so I could do it  :emotion-3:). After two days, about eight hours on the phone, being bounced around from one tech to another (all who did their level best to help me out), I finally gave up and started all over again and downgraded from Vista by installing my legal retail copy of Windows XP Professional. Now most things seem to be working okay, except for the USB ports. No matter what port I use, it always tells me that I could go faster if I have a USB 2.0 port. All my USB ports are supposed to be USB 2.0.

I thought about trying to rerun the PC Restore to get back to factory setting (that is if it will run), but I am concerned with what could happen. This unit came with Vista, but I couldn't (even with tech support working with me) get Vista reinstalled properly and working. At least now my printer communicates with the computer. Any suggestion as to the USB issue??? Or any other suggestions???

5 Posts

January 25th, 2009 19:00

You could always give Ubuntu a shot if you have no proprietary needs. That would be the last "crash" you experience. Linux does mess up but the only time I have had to do forced reinstall was when my motherboard went out, sata stopped working and really *** up my file system. Root only though, home files all OK:)

4.6K Posts

January 26th, 2009 09:00

... most things seem to be working okay, except for the USB ports.

No matter what port I use, it always tells me that I could go faster if I have a USB 2.0 port.

I assume you've reinstalled the chipset drivers?

Did you also install the drivers in the correct order?

950 Posts

January 26th, 2009 12:00

Also just to note for the enhanced usb to work for usb 2.0 you need to be running XP with SP2. And as stated install chipset and all other drivers.

85 Posts

January 26th, 2009 12:00

I assume you've reinstalled the chipset drivers?

Did you also install the drivers in the correct order?

I don't know. I hope I did, but I can't swear to it. I have looked at the "correct order" link and now I have no idea at all what order anything was installed in. Hopefully I can reinstall these drivers in the sequence listed  and everything will work okay.  :emotion-42:

85 Posts

January 26th, 2009 15:00

Not a problem. I am up to SP3. Now all I need is time to get the drivers reinstalled...

85 Posts

January 26th, 2009 16:00

Well, I may have SP3 installed on my XP Pro, but it still desn't take care of the USB problem after installing the drivers in the sequence shown, Any other suggestions other than calling Tech Support???

85 Posts

January 30th, 2009 13:00

Just to let everyone know I have the problem resolved. And for only the first time in all my dealings with Dell tech support can I say it was no thanks to them. The tech tried to tell me the USB ports themselves (physically?) downgraded from 2.0 to 1.0 because we (a joint decision of Dell and myself) finally had to give up and downgrade/install XP Pro on my computer instead of Vista to resolve the previous issue. Then he tried to sell me a $40 USB hub that would allow my USB equipment to run as 2.0.

I know this tech is an exception as I have dealt with Dell tech support dozens of times as part of my job and they have always been the best! Despite this experience, I will not ever let it cloud my judgement of the great technical support I have recieved from Dell. Nor will it stop me from calling them again or using the interactve support. :emotion-21:

Oh yes, how did I fix it? After the tech deleted all the USB devices and rebooted the computer, one USB controller then showed the yellow question mark by it. Why he didn't pick up on it, I will never know. I deleted that device and rebooted. Now everything is as it should be.

4.6K Posts

February 1st, 2009 15:00

Glad you got it sorted :emotion-21:

The tech tried to tell me the USB ports themselves (physically?) downgraded from 2.0 to 1.0...

... he tried to sell me a $40 USB hub that would allow my USB equipment to run as 2.0.

Had the ports really been "downgraded from 2.0 to 1.0"... plugging in a USB 2.0 hub wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference anyway, because it would've been connected to a port running at USB 1.0.

You'll be well aware yourself - I'm sure, that you can't magically transform USB 1.0 into USB 2.0, simply by plugging in a USB 2.0 hub?

The source itself has to be USB 2.0 capable, before anything plugged into it will work at USB 2.0 speeds :emotion-43:

No Events found!