Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2014 23:00

Where can I get OS image?

This machine was shoved on to me some time ago without any discs.   I'm trying to create a microsoft dart recovery disc but this requires that I have the windows installation source files which now I don't have.  I installed datasafe backup basic and it says I can recreate the OS discs but I can't figure out how. All I see is that it lets you create some recovery discs which just basically run some sort of recovery.  Do I have to pay for these disks or can I download them from the web somewhere.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2014 09:00

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/software-assurance/default.aspx

Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit (DaRT)

The Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset (DaRT), is a core component of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack for Software Assurance.  You do not have software Assurance unless you are a VOLUME LICENSE CUSTOMER not a Consumer.

The windows source disks are only available to ENTERPRISE clients with Volume Licenses.

Dell does not support DART Microsoft does and its not free.

March 11th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for not answering my question and wasting my time.  I know what dart is and I'm a licensed user and my question is not about dart.    Please shutup if you don't know the answer. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

March 11th, 2014 12:00

"I'm trying to create a microsoft dart recovery disc but this requires that I have the windows installation source files"

DART is not supported by Dell and the source media you reference does not come from Dell.

https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

The Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) gives you easy access to:

Volume Licensing benefits

Download products and keys (windows installation source files)

Access all your licensing information in one location

View your relationship summary and license summary details

Review the status of your enrollments

Activate and consume Software Assurance benefits

Dell does have a service for VLK customers to have One image for all of your computers whether they come from Dell or not.

However this too is not free.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/services/ximage_datasheet.pdf

This guy speedstep is clearly clueless or on meth.   In the mean time, I can't waste any more time on this.  If someone comes across this and can answer, please do so for other users.  Dell has made this more complicated than it really is.  The point is that most manufacturers don't ship discs anymore.  I had no problem getting OS discs for my laptop from HP but Dell is very confusing.   On my HP everything to recreate the media and reinstall is in the recovery partition.  In the few docs I've found it sounds like you can recreate the media but it doesn't explain how.  e.g. the gibberish docs that come with datasafe backup explain you can recreate the media but not how.   I think they deliberately make this as confusing as possible to get you to pay $40 for an upgrade.   It's very simple, I want to be able to recover the machine (not the entire disk, just the factory settings) from a crash, and I want a copy of the OS media that Dell uses to burn the discs, not the one from microsoft. 

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

Dell Customers with an active warranty can now request a set of backup discs containing the factory-installed operating system as well as the device drivers and utilities specific to your system.

If in the United States and Canada while still under warranty, Request Backup Disks,

if in another Country, Contact Dell Tech Support in your Country.

Contact Dell by Phone

Again, the question is not about dart!!!!  What is your malfunction?  The question is about obtaining the os media which the dell documentation clearly states I can obtain thru from dell but doesn't explain how.  Geez, what is wrong with you people. 

615 Posts

March 11th, 2014 14:00

Dell has made this more complicated than it really is.

Perhaps the VOLUNTEER Speedstep has missed the point. Perhaps Dell is making this more complicated than you're willing to tolerate. Perhaps your clear lack of manners in a forum dedicated to providing FREE assistance and input for user specific problems stems from Community Forum not living up to your expectations. Based on your contributions here it is my personal opinion that you should

• Not open a thread with "I'm trying to create a dart recovery....." Unless you're really trying to do that.
  • Not compare garbage to gold
  • Not expect that when someone has something you want or need that it will come free of charge...anywhere
  • Consider giving the laptop that was "unloaded" on you to someone better fit to deal with a product that you are apparently  unfamiliar with
  • Contact HP and ask them how creating recovery media is done the way you KNOW it should be
  • Consider very closely that your problem is EASILY solved with a few simple steps but due to your aggressive and insulting demeanor you will not likely find those answers here...or anywhere else.

March 11th, 2014 15:00

I'm not apologizing for anything.  My frustration is due to having my time wasted, by Dell for not providing accurate and up to date instructions, and by this forum.  If you don't really have anything to contribute, whether volunteer or not, then why waste my time and anybody else reading this thread by popping off with whatever you're thinking.  

If this is the wrong forum for questions about desktop admin then I apologize.  I couldn't find anywhere else I could submit my questions.  As far as I can tell Dell doesn't offer any support.  

No Events found!