Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

February 12th, 2012 06:00

Where did the files go after "Transfer My PC" ?

My wife recently purchased a Dell XPS 8300 running Win 7 64-bit together with the Transfer my PC software.  Her old pc was running Windows XP.  I carried out the transfer of data routine for her and this was successfully completed - eventually, or so we thought.  She is involved in Family History research and for some inexplicable reason, a number of her files and pdf documents had been stored in the old Documents and Settings in XP. Of course, in Win 7, Documents and Settings doesn't seem to exist as such and accordingly, we can't locate where these files and documents have gone on the new computer.  I have tried searching via Start > Search programs and files but without any success.  Can anyone point us to where these files might be found please?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 12th, 2012 06:00

Hi Peter58H,

The "documents and settings" folder in XP is not necessarily where your personal files are located. "My Documents" can be moved to a different location. It may be necessary to manually copy some of the files from the old system to the new one. Win 7 organizes by file type (documents, music, video) and for each of these, there is a use folder and a public folder (which may or may not be shared among several computers).

66 Posts

February 12th, 2012 07:00

I know it sounds weird, but Documents and Settings on the old pc which was running XP was where these Familty Tree Maker files seem to have been located. My wife couldn't explain why they were there. Once the transfer of files etc was complete I expected to be able to find them again on the new pc and relocate them correctly to My Documents. I appreciate that Win7 organises by file type. But shouldn't a simple search find where they are now?  I suppose it might just be simpler to put these files onto a flash drive manually and download them again (I just didn't like to think that files were going to be duplicated on the new pc)

14.4K Posts

February 12th, 2012 09:00

look in C:\Users\username( find your user name and expand that section) there will be listings for apps data as well as my documents.

66 Posts

February 12th, 2012 10:00

Thank you to both of you for advising me.  I have tried everything you suggest, but there is no sign of the missing files. I am therefore going to copy them to a flash drive from the old pc and manually reinstal them.

No Events found!