boreal
1 Copper

Where is bundled software located on new XPS?

I recently purchased a XPS 8700 WIN 8.0 that only came with a driver disk. I had PowerDVD software installed as bundled software. The first time I ran it last week, it suggested I get the free updates. When I downloaded the updates, PowerDVD would not install. I got no help from CyberMedia and I have been waiting a week for a reply from Dell Support. I just want to know, how can I reinstall what I had originally? I believe it was version 10. Since newer computers do not come with software discs, it must be on the hard drive. When I go to the Dell Support website to download the software, I just get stuck and no preinstalled software shows up under my service tag. Ideas??

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bsell65
1 Copper

RE: Where is bundled software located on new XPS?

You will have to redo the system.  Restart the system and press the F8 key. Everything that was on the hard drive will be re-installed.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
boreal
1 Copper

I assume everything I have added to the hard drive will then be wiped out? If so, It isn't worth it. Thanks anyway.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

You could try a System Restore to last date available before you tried to update. (NOTE: NOT a System Reset or System Refresh)

Restore shouldn't affect personal files but always good to back up on external media first.

Read this.

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
boreal
1 Copper

I'll give it a try. But I'm not sure I have a restore point that far back.

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

If you purchased it as additional software when you customised your system prior to purchase the installer should be available from the Dell Digital Delivery Application:

http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER01697861M/69/DellDigitalDelivery.2.7.1000.0_setup_ZPE.exe

Otherwise if it was prebundled without additional/optional purchase, it should be in My Dell Downloads:

https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/Welcome.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fweb%2fmain.aspx

Use 32 Bit Internet Explorer on the desktop when using My Dell Downloads.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
boreal
1 Copper

I had no luck earlier with Dell Downloads - the site didn't work right - I just keep getting caught in loops that don't take me anywhere.  I only tried Firefox & IE  - but I don't know if it was 32 bit or 64 bit. I am guessing 64 bit. How can I tell what version I am running?? About IE doesn't specify 32 or 64 bit. But I do have a 64 bit system.Why is the website so picky anyway??

BTW, out of frustration I went online and purchased the software outright. So now I am just trying to figure this problem out....

0 Kudos
Philip_Yip
6 Indium

Launch iexplore.exe from the C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer folder.

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
0 Kudos
boreal
1 Copper

Still no luck with IE 32-bit. I go to the download center, they ask me to sign in, I do, then I'm back to the start page, they ask to sign in, I do, then it's back to start again.

0 Kudos