Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 21st, 2014 18:00

Why cant I get an e-mail response from the support desk?

I have a brand new Inspiron desktop that doesn't work. Have contacted support and have received Windows reinstall discs and need some answers to some likely basic questions.

I cannot understand the phone support personnel well enough to proceed and have asked for e-mail support, but I am getting no reply. In searching for other support I have found that "e-mail support is unavailable for my product" Why? 

At this point my two week old computer is useless and I am preparing to pack it back in its box and return it. Very unhappy.

September 21st, 2014 19:00

Hi mbliss,

please delete the service request number from the public post. Please share your concerns we will look into it and help you out. You can private message us if you need anything.

18 Posts

September 21st, 2014 20:00

Thank you for the prompt reply. 

I have no idea how to PM here. (Edit, I think I figured out how to PM)

18 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 10:00

Any advise on getting help, or should I proceed to making arrangements to return the computer?

I made the mistake of backing up my old office computer and discarding it, assuming the new Dell would set up and work as expected, and now I really need to either fix or replace this thing.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 22nd, 2014 14:00

mbliss

Best to return the system ASAP.

Bev.

18 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 16:00

Thanks for the suggestion Bev.

At this point I am just so very shocked at the abysmally poor tech support I have gotten, I am nearly at a loss for words. All I need is what I consider VERY basic guidance that is lacking from the resources available. I just cant believe this. All I need is a brief e-mail exchange explaining what to do. And I can't get a response anywhere. Just stunned.

Guess I'll contact sales tomorrow and arrange to send the thing back. 

Any suggestions on where to shop for a computer?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 22nd, 2014 19:00

mbliss

Sorry I don't, all the OEM's are about the same now, with regards to service.

Bev.

53 Posts

September 25th, 2014 10:00

Not to worry, after you've spent a couple hours / days talking with Dell's foreign outsourced lowballed cheap-as-possible phone customer support personnel enough times, you will begin to understand what they're saying through that thick accent.

Apparently having support people speaking clear General American English (Nebraska / Iowa / Illinois, most common "neutral" accent for American news broadcasters), is not high on Dell's customer support priorities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_American

Also there is no shame in telling a customer support person from another country that you can not understand them, and to request to speak with someone that can communicate more clearly.

18 Posts

September 28th, 2014 06:00

My comment about the accent was never intended as a personal grudge or judgement on foreign support staff. The issue might be the same if I were talking to someone from Britain, Ireland, Australia, The Bronx or New Mexico. 

My complaint is that there seems to be no motivation to help via alternative paths. I was very let down upon finding the message that "e-mail support is not available for my model" I have a brand new purchase and am having a problem and no one can exchange a couple of basic e-mails with me? Really?

You can send me e-mail confirmations of contact with support, e-mail me copies of the chat logs, even e-mail me a message that states that it is assumed the issue is resolved simply because the service ticket has been open so long...... But yet no one has yet to send me one clear answer to a couple of basic questions??  Its mind bogglingly ignorant policy is what it is!

I did discover the tech chat option, though I feel it is purposely buried in this site. And I learned a few things. Tip: Ask one question on one subject. If you ask multiple questions, you will consistently get an answer on the last one only. After several tries and learning this, I have the first answer of several basic low tech questions. 

Still working on it, hope to have a functional computer today.

18 Posts

October 1st, 2014 19:00

I have now been informed that since the 30 day "customer satisfaction" window has expired Dell has no intention of helping me. I have gotten NO support from any Dell resource despite trying every way I could find since I first set up the computer and had problems. The computer is a useless paper weight and Dell wont stand behind it. This is what I get for taking the time to try and fix it in the first place instead of return it immediately. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 1st, 2015 20:00

mbliss

Sorry to hear that.  

As you posted 'lesson learned'.

Bev.

18 Posts

February 1st, 2015 20:00

"Best to return the system ASAP."

Best Dell forum advise ever. Wish I had followed it.

Total loss, still doesn't work after multiple OS and driver re-installs and a replacement imaged HD. Graphic driver crashes regularly every couple of minutes, and even if I could get a clean running install, I can't back up to disc.

By being encouraged to allow tech to guide me through attempts to fix it myself, they closed the window to allowing a return. 

defective computer, defective software, terrible tech support and the worst customer support I have ever experienced.

Bad purchase, lesson learned. Never again.

No Events found!