Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

June 26th, 2016 08:00

Why doesn't the Service Tag for Dimension 4550 not show any system information?

The Service Tag comes up, along with the Express Service Code and Ship Date...but everything else is blank.

Is it just because it's old (2003) or could it be something else?

I cannot do the "Current Configuration" analysis because the system does not have a working hard drive.

How can I get the system configuration information?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 26th, 2016 12:00

You cant remote get current configuration on a machine that has no hard drive from another machine.

F2 Bios various menus will show what is in the machine.

There isn't any way to do what you are asking from a remote machine.

CPU info, Ram Info,  Video Card Info etc can be seen from bios.

23 Posts

June 26th, 2016 12:00

Thanks SpeedStep - I wasn't looking to get that information from a remote machine. I was looking to get it from the Dell Support website, like I do for my XPS 420. When I punch in the service tag for my XPS 420, the original and current configuration shows exactly what's in the machine.

Just not sure why for the service tag on the Dimension all the information is blank.

In the meantime, I'll see if I have another hard drive laying around and go in the BIOS. Or even if I can find the original receipt from Dell.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 26th, 2016 17:00

I'm still not understanding why you need to know the "configuration"

You can Open the case and get the part number on the video card and any other expansion cards.

The 4550 would be single core pentium 4.  Incapable of running windows 8 or 10 and likely to have 512 megs of ram.

maximum ram is 2 gigs with some of that ram stolen to run the INTEL 845 Graphics

It has 2 ram slots.  

This is an ancient system that is not suitable for any upgrades due to AGP instead of PCI-E video and

DDR 1  400mhz  low density non ecc non buffered ram.

An Optiplex GX620 or Higher Tower meaning GX745 755 760 780 will be light years faster and be useable all the way to windows 10 and a Directx 11 or better PCI-E GPU.

GX620's and better are available for less than $199 with windows 7.

http://www.lambroinc.com/

23 Posts

June 26th, 2016 17:00

My grandfather's PC...time for him to get something new, but want to try to sell it for him on Craigslist...figured people would want to know what's in it even if they want it only for parts and I can just get him a few bucks for it. The easiest would have been if the service tag showed the info...was looking to do it the easiest way since I don't live close to him.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 27th, 2016 06:00

This machine is worth almost nothing.

The parts are too old.

Dell Dimension 4550
Windows XP Home; 2.40GHz Intel P4; 512MB DDR SDRAM 333MHz; Nvidia GeForce2 32MB; Western Digital WD40JB-40GB IDE Drive.

23 Posts

June 27th, 2016 08:00

I know :/

It's just that even if I can get him a few bucks it would help him. How much do you think I could sell it for - 2 CD / DVD drives...$20? $15? $10? I can put it up on CL for a few days and if nobody responds, recycle it...but I've got nothing to lose by listing it for him...

No Events found!