Highlighted
3 Argentum

Why is my ram Not Registering correctly on my computer?

So,

I'm a bit flustered as how ram actually works.

I always understood that a motherboard can support a certain type up to a certain size.

For instance, I have a Dell xps 8700 and It supports 32GB of DDR3 RAM.
My computer came installed with 12GB of ram, 2x2GB, 2x4GB.
Not ideal, and I've been reaching 10GB used in some games so I had plans to upgrade.

However, Someone decided to buy me two sticks of 8GB.
The brand and details:
Kingston HX318C10FB/8

The old set:
( two 2GB I am removing and replacing with the new sticks to get a total of 24GB of RAM)

www.skhynix.com/eolproducts.view.do

The problem is this:

With all 4 connected, A modified task manager ( a clone used to mimic the windows 8/10 style, but run on windows 7)

displays a very odd ram usage. It shows as 24GB installed. Graphically shows 16GB in use, and the number value of in use is too large to fit on the window.
A picture will be attached.

Right now I have only 1x8Gb stick as well as the two 4GB sticks. (slots 2,3,4) (see below)

An interesting point to point out is the fact that Nividia Geforce reports it that I have 15.95GB installed with only the 3 sticks installed, but shows up as 16.00GB with all 4.

checking the windows 7 Dialogue box "system information" It shows 16GB installed with just 3 sticks and 24GB with 4 sticks.

Checking on the resource manager, it doesn't seem to glitch out, however when all 4 sticks are installed, it claims that 8192MB of memory is hardware reserved, (also seen in the first picture) while with only 3 sticks it shows as 49MB reserved.

I have ruled it out being a problem with one stick in particular as i tried each stick separately, with no major difference in one stick alone.

Also, upon checking other forums, I have an i7-4790 Quad core 3.6GHz processor installed.

I need a bit of help solving this problem,
I want to know if the sticks are going to work on my computer, or if there is a reason to this confusion.

Another forum pointed me to the manual of this computer- which also mentions that the computer can support up to 32GB.
ftp.dell.com/.../xps-8700_Reference Guide_en-us.pdf

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
3 Argentum

RE: Why is my ram Not Registering correctly on my computer?

What version of Windows 7 are you running? My guess it that  you are running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, then the maximum RAM limit is 16 GB on an x64 processor. If you are running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit the limit jumps to 192 GB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Mixing RAM sizes should be OK as along as the memory modules are matched in pairs and installed in the proper slots. See the manual, pairs should be in slots 1 & 2 or slots 3 & 4 and note that the paired slots are not next to each other.

The maximum memory limit for Windows 10 Home 64-bit is 128 GB and for Windows 10 Pro 64-bit is 512 GB. 32-bit for both is only 4 GB.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

My guess it that  you are running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, then the maximum RAM limit is 16 GB on an x64 processor.

This is my guess also.

msdn.microsoft.com/.../aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

I prefer windows 8.1 vs win 10. I don't run Win10 on any of my or my families 8700s. 

Windows 8/8.64bit home will run up to 128GB ram.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

I am running windows 7 x64 bit Home premium. So that's why I can only get 16GB out of it.

However, I have more to add:

When I bought this computer it came with windows 8.1

When windows 10 came out, I did everything in my power to stop it from automatically updating to 10.

after nearly a year of the free-time windows 10 release, I figured I might as well try it while it's still free, and made backups on another drive to go back to windows 8.1

I lasted 4 months with windows 10 before I absolutely lost it and was nearly throwing my computer through my glass window because I hated everything about it so much.

( I'm still upset that my college went to windows 10 with the computers... :'( )

since I installed windows 10 on a clean SSD, I decided to just delete windows 10 and perform a clean installation of windows 7 home premium because I had been using a few third party apps to 'deal' with windows 8.1.

That being said, I can easily boot my computer to windows 8.1, but it's on a hard drive so it takes nearly 8x as long to boot and I haven't used the computer as windows 8.1 in over a year so I don't want to put the computer into shock or anything.

Windows 7 has been 'Discontinued' by Microsoft, and I'm wondering is are there any ways to enable ram usage above 16GB? ( A quick google search returns a lot of results)

or upgrading to Pro or Ultimate for free?

For the time Being, I have removed the Two 4GB sticks and Have The two 8Gb sticks in the proper DIMM slots for Dual Channel.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Beryllium

I also gave up on Win10 for my 8700s. and  I actually like Win81 better than 7.

If you need/want more than 16GB, then I'd go with 8.1

I think I have five 8700s running 8.1. The auto-updates are disabled and I manually patch the security updates monthly.

There are alot of pages on how to turn off the ***-o-la of Win81 which makes it feel more like 7.

0 Kudos