Highlighted
2 Bronze

Why is my total physical memory so low

Hi all. I just bought an XPS 630i desktop as my ultimate gaming machine.

its got 4gb ram and 2.5ghz quad core.

first thing i notices is that it wasnt as fast as i thought it would be. takes a long time to boot up and do normal processes like open/close windows etc. i have an inspiron 1720 which feels alot faster. (ive disabled aero and all those other resource hogging vista features)

when i go into advaanced system information i can see that i have installed physical memory opf 4GB but the total physical memory says only 2.75GB. then under that the available physical memory isa onl 1.74GB??? 

Why is this - how can i fix this???

Thanks
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Why is my total physical memory so low

Not really a tech expert, but I think it's your GHZ speed @ 2.5, which is pretty slow. =\

XPS 630

Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 @ 2.83 GHz
nVidia GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
320GB Hard Drive
2GB Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Enabling 3.5 GB of RAM in Widows Vista (32 bit)

It's because you are using a 32 bit OS, and not a 64 bit version. You can sent a PM to Dell-Chris_M and request a 64 bit version, but Dell will not support the 64 bit OS.

The below method is not supported, warranted, and you take full responsibility for using it. You may wish to Google the information to be sure it is accurate. I have it enabled on my Vista 32 bit OS and it's made a significant difference.

The alternative method is to temporarily disable the UAC (User Account Control), by Start > Control Panel > User Accounts. Bottom blue link, middle of screen, "Turn User Account Control on or off", uncheck the checkmark, and OK. You will be prompted to reboot, which you will need to do.

Once you get back in, you will get notified that UAC is off, and you really should reactive UAC again, after editing the information below, by following the above steps but this time checking the checkmark in the box.

Click the Start button, Run, enter cmd.exe and press enter

-or-

WindowsKeyboardKey + R  (shortcut for Run, if disabled from the User Menu)

Type this in the command (black) pop-up menu (Google Search😞

BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable

And then this (Google Search😞

BCDEdit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072

Press the upper X in the pop-up menu to close it, and then reactivate the UAC. Once again you will be asked to reboot. Once you have rebooted, you should notice an increase in performance in games, and loading time. The 32 bit OS is now using 3.5 GB of RAM, the maximum allowable for a 32 bit OS.

What gets me is the 630i can utilize a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, although come with wither 2 GB or 4 GB of RAM, sometimes with an option of 8 GB of RAM. Thought I saw Windows Ultimate 64 bit offered last summer, but I have no proof.

But why, pray tell, does Dell make a machine that supports a maximum of 8 GB of RAM, but only supports a 32 bit Operating System. Guess I fail to see any logic there for Dell’s decision on this issue.

I hope this helps to alleviate your 32 bit OS' memory woes.

Message Edited by Xelkos on 10-04-2008 01:03 AM

XPS 630i Intel Core² (Wolfdale) 3.0 GHz; BIOS: 1.0.13; 4 GB DDR2 @ 800 MHz;
Hard Drives: 320 GB, NCQ Western Digital; 640 GB, Seagate;
Optical Drives: 48x Combo CD-RW; 16x DVD+/-RW; Creative X-Fi PCI Sound;
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT w/ 512 MB; 19 in 1 Media Reader w/ Bluetooth;
Windows 7, 64-Bit (Primary), c/b Vista 32-Bit, 32 Bit (OEM); 2.4/5 GHz Wireless 1505 PCIe WLAN

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi Xelkos, thanks for your message.

i followed your steps and it said "completed successfully"

However when i had rebooted i still had only 2.75 total physical memory and now 1.83GB available physical memory. so i dont think it changed all that much.

my 32bit vista inspiron has 3.5gh total physical memory and i never changed any settings with that...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Hmmm... I started the Task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) on mine, says 3324 Total Physical Memory.

The above sets the RAM available for use to Vista, don't think it changes the BIOS any.

If you're checking in the BIOS, and only show 2 GB of RAM, then turn your machine off. Remove the cover, ground yourself to the case (touching metal at all time if no ground strap), and unclip the memory modules. Pull them out, noting the pin alignment, and reseat the RAM into the sockets.

Then turn your machine back on, and enter the BIOS to see that indeed 4 GB of RAM is showing.

I haven't looked at the BIOS much, only set supervisor and user passwords when it arrived.

Windows 7, 64-Bit (Primary), c/b Vista 32-Bit, 32 Bit (OEM); 2.4/5 GHz Wireless 1505 PCIe WLAN

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

my task manager only shows 2812mb physical memory.

the computer detects the 4gb fine in the bios - ao thats not the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

The amount of memory that Windows will detect has to do with a bunch of factors however if you have video card(s) with on board ram that immediately subtracts fromt he amount of main RAM that Windows can use, so if your videos have 1Gb on board RAM, without taking anything else into account Windows is only going to see 3GB Physical RAM, and it will even be less than that when you take into account all the other components that use the memory address range.

See this link for more info

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

thanks for your helpful post and links.

i will await the day 64bit computing becomes the standard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

I found that this weekend Dell is selling XPS 630 systems with Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit OS.

However, according to Chris_M, if your system did not come with previously, they won't support it.

Question I have is, since the 64 bit OS is being installed into new XPS 630, where are the "official" drivers & software?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 Tellurium

very interesting - the 420 downloads page looks like this - you simply choose vista 64-bit....

XPS 420 with Vista Ultimate 64-bit - Q6700 - 8 GB 800 MHZ Mushkin RAM - 2 500 GB Samsung - 425 Watt PSU

Nvidia 8800gt - 24" Gateway LCD

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

And for the 630 you just take a look at the Vista 32 drivers' compatibility, all which inidcate they are compatible with 64-bit. Easy. 🙂
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

The issue is/was the "offical" drivers and software; not the "compatible" versions, but the "real deal" since Dell is selling the systems with 64 bit OS -- Dell has to support the 64 bit OS now.

Drivers List

(Added a link on driver list)

Message Edited by Xelkos on 10-05-2008 04:19 PM

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

These are the "real deal".  The 32-bit drivers are identical to the 64-bit drivers. 

This is almost always the case with Vista drivers from any company. 

The drivers don't change if they are separately listed under a "64-bit drivers" tab. 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Xelkos,

Dell has to support the 64 bit OS now.
* That is still not changed in our policy. Currently, we only support the operating system we shipped on the PC.

0 Kudos