Highlighted
Florida Bob
1 Copper

Wifi Interferes with Audio Output

The subject line says it all.  My desktop computer uses 802.11b Wifi for its Internet connection.  Whenever data is being downloaded, the speaker audio has very noticeable static.  This occurs during any type of data download including audio and non-audio products.  This is not a new problem, but I have ignored it because the use of audio on this computer has not been important, but my wife now wants to use it for Skype.  So I have to fix the problem.  It appears to be some form of crosstalk.  I have moved the speaker wires and Wifi cable around trying reduce coupling.  This seemed to help some, but not enough to resolve the problem.  I am wondering if this really an internal computer problem. 

If anyone has had a simlar experience or has any ideas on how to solve the problem, I would appreciate your input.

The computer is a Dell Vostro 200, with 1 GB of RAM, 80 GB HD, Linksys Wireless-G Portable USB apadter, and without an audio board.  Its running XP with SP3.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
8 Krypton

Re: Wifi Interferes with Audio Output

The problem is most likely an "RFI" (Radio Frequence Interference) problem, rather than an internal PC problem.  Using shielded cable to connect the PC's speakers to rather than unshielded "speaker" cables MAY help a little.   PC Speakers are supposed to be shielded to minimize RFI, and depending on what speakers you have they may not be properly shielded.

Do you get the interference if the front panel headset jack is used, rather than the rear connected speakers?  If there is no interference at the front panel headphone jack that would further suggest the problem is in the speaker system rather than the PC.

Desktop system are normally hardwired to the Internet connection, not used with a wireless connection so this is normally not an issue with Desktops. 

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos