Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

May 31st, 2016 11:00

Will Intel Rapid Storage Technology work with W10

I have a Studio XPS 9100 running Windows 7, that I purchased 5 years ago (Apr 2011).  I have painstakingly gone through to make sure everything is working perfectly (at this snapshot in time) and corrected the few problems I had.  I think I will upgrade to W10 in June. 

There is an app that was preinstalled by Dell, entitled "Intel Rapid Storage Technology".  Does anyone know if this will continue to function with W10?  If not, does that speed things up significantly, or is it not worth worrying about?

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 31st, 2016 12:00

Clean install out of the box No nor will it work upgrade.

The reason is that the RST application requires DOTNET.

This has to be ADDED BACK to windows 7 8 10 via control panel, add features to windows, must be ONLINE as these "features" are downloaded from windows update.

Advanced format drives Require INTEL RST 9.6 or higher.

Larger than 2TB Drives requires a host bus adapter and or INTEL RST 10.1 or higher.

The problem is that newer and newer versions of RST DO NOT SUPPORT OLDER AND OLDER versions of INTEL ICH aka ICH 4 5 6 7 8 9 10.  The higher you go the lower versions drop support.

Version 9.6 may be max for your motherboard.

I am sure that by the time you get to INTEL RST version 11.7 that your ICH aka Sata controller is NOT supported.

Trying to install when the system is in ATA mode instead of AHCI OR if the version of ICH is not supported will error with not supported hardware.

The INTEL RST 9.6  F6 Drivers can be put on a USB Flash drive and when AHCI is enabled for Sata operation it will load the drivers and see the disk.  If you do not load RST 9.6 or higher it will not "see the drive" and will not install.  Advanced format 4k drives started arriving in 2011.  At this point ALL NEW Drives are advanced format.  If you have an ancient 120 gig , 80 gig drive it won't need the drivers.   Most 160 Gig, 320 gig , 500 gig etc are 4k Advanced format Drives.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15251

Detailed Description

Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 9.6.0.1014 for Intel® Desktop Boards.

Download the driver (STOR_allOS_9.6.0.1014_PV.exe) and one of the following F6 Driver Diskettes (depending on your operating system):

STOR_all32_f6flpy_9.6.0.1014_PV.zip - F6 driver diskette for Windows* 7 (32-bit editions), Windows* Vista* (32-bit editions), Windows XP* Home, Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Media Center Edition.

STOR_all64_f6flpy_9.6.0.1014_PV.zip - F6 driver diskette for Windows 7 (64-bit editions), Windows Vista (64-bit editions) or Windows XP Professional 64-bit Edition.

Before ANY OS install you have to CTRL R or CTRL i  from BIOS and Initialize the drives as Raid 1 aka Mirrored container.

Raid ZERO Striped is never a good idea because if you lose a drive you lose all data. RAID 0 (also known as a stripe set or striped volume) splits ("stripes") data evenly across two or more disks, without  parity information, redundancy, or fault Tolerance. Since RAID 0 provides no fault tolerance or redundancy,

19 Posts

May 31st, 2016 13:00

Thanks for the reply, SpeedStep --

Unfortunately, I don't know what all this means -- I'm not that advanced.  Are you saying that upgrading to W10 will fail because of this? 

BTW, I just opened the RST window , and it says, "Your system is functioning normally.  Your system is configured to enable advanced SATA features for optimal power management and increased storage potential."

My drive is a "1.5TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 rpm".  I am not running a RAID configuration (only one HD).  Also I am running the 64bit version of W7.

So you're saying if I upgrade, that I will have to reinstall DOTNET? 

If everything fails, I am using Acronis to image my PC (on an external HD), and have an emergency boot recovery disk.  I plan to do a complete image of my PC immediately before upgrade attempt.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 1st, 2016 07:00

Others who have upgraded to 10 have had to manually reinstall DOTNET and the INTEL RST app.

Otherwise the drives slow to a crawl and it crashes a lot because the version of the AHCI driver is not compatible with the older chipset.

For many users installing DOTNET manually and installing RST 9.6 is as far as they can go.

I've installed windows 10 on machines as old as GX620 and they work fine.  They do not however work with AHCI or INTEL RST.

You have to install Legacy Direct play and DX9 and DX10 drivers from the Directx June 2010 patch.

You download the file and extract to a folder then run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

Before previous drivers will work in windows 7 or 8 or 10 you have to enable legacy features like DOTNET 2.0 3.5  and Directshow.  You must then install DIRECTX JUNE 2010 DRIVERS by downloading the file and extracting into a folder and running DXSETUP.exe.

Directx June 2010 which you download and extract to a FOLDER then run DXsetup.exe as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

in control panel, all control panel items,  programs and features, Turn windows features on and off.  You have to be ONLINE when you do this because it will insist on downloading from the internet.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Enable dotnet 2.0 3.5

enable legacy direct play

Install Directx June 2010 Patch.

Legacy audio APIs such as DirectSound, DirectShow, and the waveOutXxx functions enable applications to get and set the volume levels of audio streams.

Windows Media Source Filter. This behavior was maintained to ensure backward compatibility with applications that used the Windows Media Player 6.4. New applications should use the newer versions of QASF, which make the WM ASF Reader filter the default filter for playing ASF files.

For more information on the Windows Media suite of software development kits, see the Audio and Video section of the MDSN Library.

19 Posts

July 26th, 2016 08:00

I bit the bullet, and upgraded to W10 last night.  The install went without problems, and my PC seems to be at least as responsive, if not more responsive after the upgrade.  I'm confused -- I no longer can find any indication that Intel RST is running (still trying to find stuff in W10).  My HD and the "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" are both using Microsoft drivers now.  Looking around, the only thing I see amiss, is there are 8 entries for "Intel(R) Chipset Quick Data Technology Device - ####", where #### is an address, which are not running and it says there is no driver for these.  Looks like this is a similar situation as the Intel RST -- looked on the Intel site, and they didn't seem to have any updated drivers.  Think I ought to just let it run, and see if I encounter problems, or try to find a solution?  I can always reinstall my W7 image if necessary, that I have on an external HD.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 26th, 2016 15:00

You must manually reinstall DOTNET and the INTEL RST app version that supports your chipset. Otherwise the rst gui will NEVER RUN AGAIN.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15251

Other Versions

19 Posts

July 28th, 2016 13:00

So far, the system seems to be running fine, with no slowdowns or crashes, without running Intel RST.  I am still looking at trying to install Intel RST, as you suggested.  One question I have, is I only have one HD (no RAID configuration) -- so is there an option I need to select for that?  I want to do a complete backup of my HD before I begin.  I couldn't get Acronis to do a backup -- I traced this problem to that Windows 10 scrambled the external drive letters, and when I tried to fix the problem in Acronis, it got confused.  I think I have the problem fixed now, and have Acronis set to do a backup tonight -- see what happens.  As another thought -- if the system keeps running at least as well as before, do I really need to reinstall Intel RST?

No Events found!